How hard is it to set up dirt/ soil in my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H3F4D

Aquarium Advice Regular
I really like the look of natural soil / moss / driftwood in a tank! i was just wondering how difficult it is to maintain compared to a sand or beach rock ? is it garbage once used ? how often do you have to replace/ remove ? benifets from doing this/ disadvantages from doing this ?

Tank is a 20g marineland going to upgrade in near future
Any thoughts or knowledge is greatly appreciated

- H3F4D

I did mine in a few hours. I soaked my soil I used miracle grow organic potting soil, mixed with laterite, a bit of peat. I still have a nice mix of it waiting to go in to my next tank! I am addicted to my dirted tanks! Then I capped the dirt with gravel. I wanted a sand cap but I had the gravel so I just went with it. I did the fill and empty about 4 times until the water ran clear then I replaced hard scape and planted. Then slowly refilled and that was about it.
It doesn't need replaced. I do still use root tabs for my swords and crypts and I dose ferts. Disadvantage is that it can be messy when rescaping.
Benefits are that your plants will love it. Mine are growing like mad. My wisteria has put on about 3inches in the last week and I am constantly having to cut it down. My sword has put on about 2 inches and getting so lush. Last week I cut most of the leaves off of my crypt and all 3 have put off 2-3 new leaves. I can't imagine trying to do a planted tank without dirt!

Look for Rivercats she is amazing with the dirted planted tank I am so jealous of how beautiful hers are. You should find her and get a look at her 220g 100% planted Just stunning! She will give you the best advice. She has helped me a ton.

awsome i will do that now ! Thank you :)

want it to look official now ! more natural looking !!

Attachments

• image-3002260797.jpg
    image-3002260797.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom