How long is the birthing process for a guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucy.b.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of our female has finally given birth to 8 fry, this is a first for us and thought there would be more, she still looks very pregnant and her gravid spot huge but the last baby was born hours ago, is that it? If so shall I put her back into the tank so she doesn't eat her fry :) Tia

Your Guppy

One of our female has finally given birth to 8 fry, this is a first for us and thought there would be more, she still looks very pregnant and her gravid spot huge but the last baby was born hours ago, is that it? If so shall I put her back into the tank so she doesn't eat her fry :) Tia

Hello luc...

Young females may only have a few fry the first time. I keep all my Guppies together in large, heavily planted tanks. Floating plants are important because they hide the female and the fry. Get some stems of Hornwort and drop those into the tank, just as many as you can get. I would give the female another day of separation and then put her back.

Next time, just feed all the fish a little more and a little more often and introduce as many floating plants as possible. I've found that well fed adult livebearers show little or no interest in the fry.

B

My guppi had 7 fries the first time and a few days ago had 54:)) even caught it on video. Don't worry guppies are always pregnant mine had babies thirty days after the first drop. Well fed fishes have more fry than underfed ones.

New and excited hobbyist

Back
Top Bottom