How long should I continue to treat Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trickshot3102

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, I have been treating Ich in my 40 gallon for about a week now, and I cant see any more spots in my fish. I was wondering how long I should continue treatment after the spots are gone? I was going to wait another 3 to 5 days before stoping Meds and lowering the heat, but is that long enough? Any advice would be great

My fish have ich too. I've been treating since Wednesday and they still have spots. Most things I've read said to continue to treat 2-3 after the spots are gone.

In that case, I think I will continue treatment until this weekend to be sure it's gone. (y)

Vking073, may I ask what you are treating with?

I have never had any luck with ick treatments. The two times I have had to do it I just treated the fish until ick eventually took over a killed my fish. Then I had blue corners in my tank where the treatment dyed the silacone blue. I hate ick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Usually it's advisable to keep treatment up 10-14 days after visible symptoms subside.

Agreed with this.

The meds are a pain when it comes to the silicon in your tank. Nothing you can do to fix that, unfortunately. A lot of folks treat with no meds at all with quite a bit of luck, just using heat.

It's called quick cure.

Oh, is that the one by API? Won't it stain your tank because if the Malachite green? I bought this cheap stuff from Walmart with Malachite green, but I decided not use it because I was afraid it would stain my white gravel. :hide:
I have been using heat (82 degrees) and this stuff called Kordon Ich attack. It seems to be doing good (y)

Agreed with this.

The meds are a pain when it comes to the silicon in your tank. Nothing you can do to fix that, unfortunately. A lot of folks treat with no meds at all with quite a bit of luck, just using heat.

I agree, 10 days seems to be a good time to wait (y) What I did was raised the heater to 82 (couldn't go to 86 because of my Goldie) and I'm using a natural Ich med called Kordon Ich attack. I think the heat plus the Ich attack seems to be doing well. (y)

My ich treatment is raising the temp to around 84f and lots of water changes. No meds.

Usually it's advisable to keep treatment up 10-14 days after visible symptoms subside.

Is that at high or low temps or doesn't matter do you find? The reason I ask is that it seems you want the temp up to knock the ich off but then you want to bring it down as soon as possible to discourage any secondary bacterial/fungal problems where the ich was? Thoughts appreciated if I'm way off base here.

Is that at high or low temps or doesn't matter do you find? The reason I ask is that it seems you want the temp up to knock the ich off but then you want to bring it down as soon as possible to discourage any secondary bacterial/fungal problems where the ich was? Thoughts appreciated if I'm way off base here.[/QUOTE/]

I believe its 10-14 days at high temp after the last spots disappear. I believe that if the tank is clean and well maintained the chances of secondary infections are rather low. Its also important to vacuum the substrate frequently while treating for ich as well as increasing surface agitation to add oxygen to the warmer water.

I believe its 10-14 days at high temp after the last spots disappear. I believe that if the tank is clean and well maintained the chances of secondary infections are rather low. Its also important to vacuum the substrate frequently while treating for ich as well as increasing surface agitation to add oxygen to the warmer water.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this.

Bit off topic but my tank had cottonmouth before Christmas and then recently ich. So it's a nervy ride as I'm hoping the ich is gone, the cottonmouth doesn't come back and to be honest I'd like this summer to be over as well and into cooler weather.

Back
Top Bottom