How long till eggs hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phatpaul

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think my albino kribs have finally laid there eggs. Just wondering how long they take to hatch. Also would it hurt to shine a light into a little cave to check on the progress. Many thanks

Ok cool. Also do you know how long it takes till their independent of their parents

here's an article. id say once they are free swimming the are technically independent.http://www.justbajan.com/pets/fish/species/krebensis/index.htm
The eggs hatch between 3 to 8 days. The parent may move the fry to different locations by caring them in their mouths. The fry are free swimming in about 5 to 10 days. Once fry are free swimming, they can be fed finely crush flakes, and newly hatch brine shrimp. If the tank is mature, there should be enough organic matter for the fry to eat. The parents also assist in feeding the young by spitting food to the fry. The parents will gather the fry into a school and lead them on excursions around the tank. Sometimes one parent may want to take sole care of the fry and will attack the other parent to keep it away. If this happens you should separate one of them before they kill or injure each other. If possible, do not remove the fry from the tank until the parents are ready to breed again. Removing the fry too early may result in domestic violence if the male is ready for some loving and the female is not.

Last edited:
Lol thanks for the info. Very helpful. You where saying that if the tank is well established there should be plenty of food. Well the tank is only about two months old but was setup with established media so there's no alot of stuff around on the bottom. Will feeding the parents and trusting them to feed them be ok or should I look at getting some proper fry food? Many thanks again

id just make sure to crush the flakes if i were you, but there is a product called FirstBites at petsmart you could try.

Back
Top Bottom