How long to leave light on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordEricHobo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have heard that 8-10 hours of light for plants is ideal. However due to my new work schedule I cant do that, My options are leaving lights on while Im at work which would be about 12 ish hours, or from when I get home till I go to bed which is 4-5 hours. Which would be better? I was using the 12 hour option but I started getting a lot of small dark green alge growing on my driftwood and plants. My LED lights have a blue moonlight setting, would using that during the day and then have them on full at night be a good option? Thanks for any help!

I have heard that 8-10 hours of light for plants is ideal. However due to my new work schedule I cant do that, My options are leaving lights on while Im at work which would be about 12 ish hours, or from when I get home till I go to bed which is 4-5 hours. Which would be better? I was using the 12 hour option but I started getting a lot of small dark green alge growing on my driftwood and plants. My LED lights have a blue moonlight setting, would using that during the day and then have them on full at night be a good option? Thanks for any help!

Just get a timer for the plug, set for 9 hours.

Yeah timers are great for that. You can pick them up at cvs/rite aid/Walgreens or any pet store

Also I have heard of people doing something called a siesta period. You'd need a timer, but then you could have it on for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours or so after you're home from work. Again no personal experience, but I have heard that this also kills algae because they need a long photoperiod, but plants do not.

Also I have heard of people doing something called a siesta period. You'd need a timer, but then you could have it on for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours or so after you're home from work. Again no personal experience, but I have heard that this also kills algae because they need a long photoperiod, but plants do not.

I like this idea, think I'll try it myself. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom