How long to quarantine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody,

I bought some more fish today. Six yellow lyretail mollies. I'm holding them in a 29 gallon tank before I put them in my other cycled 29 gallon tank with the other six of my mollies. I know, pretty big for a quarantine tank, but I'm just using it for that until I make it a saltwater later on.

I bought them from Petco (It's my only option in town) and they seem to be in decent health. They are eating just fine and nothing seems to be wrong. I'm just curious about how long I should hold them in this other tank before putting them in with the rest of my mollies.

Also, I was hoping to finish the tank off with a single neon blue dwarf gourami, and it would be finished. Is this okay, and, if I purchased one, how long should that one be held?

Thanks again community,
-Shaun

I QT fish for a month, if no issues arise then I move them to their homes. If some thing pops up I try and fix it and if successful reset the monthly clock.

Ha, I again agree with Rich. You'll hear QT guidelines anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks, but I think four weeks is good. I just recently bought some new goldfish and QT'd them. After being in QT for almost two weeks, they developed ich. Believe me, I was SO glad that they were in QT rather than their home tank. Alot cheaper and easier to treat a 10 gal than a 55 gal!

Alright, great. :)
They seem to be fine externally, but they hang around near the heater and don't move much. I'm not too concerned, as my other mollies did the same for about a week and were fine.

Back
Top Bottom