How many checked their house structure before adding 500+lbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shelby_Tempo_GT

Aquarium Advice Regular
just curious. My tank is right above the main support beam (not a joist) so I am not fazed by the 500lbs.

But how many truly check before adding the extra weight?

depends on what you mean by "check"... i had 5 friends come over (all avg. 200lbs a piece) and stand in different spots. not very scientific, i know, but quite practical.

I didn't care since I rent! :twisted:

Seriously, 500 lbs is in the 55 gal range - about the same weight as a fully loaded refrigerator. Any competently built structure should handle this load without any problem.

It when you get into the 90+ gal aquariums that you should consider consulting a building engineer.

If you can, position the tank against an outside, or load-bearing wall perpendicular to the floor joists. This way, the tank's weight is spread out between as many joists as possible near their strongest point.

Actually, where you place the load is critical. If you place the tank against a load bearing wall, it is much more secure and stable than in the middle of a room with no additional supports. Even if it doesn't cause structural failure, it can cause bowing/deflection of the floor joists. Unless you have your 5-10 friends stand in the same place for a year or so, you have no idea what the long term effects of a large tank will be.

Chances are that modern buildings will support most reasonable tanks without a serious chance of failure. But people installing 150+ gallon tanks should take a good hard look at their plans to make sure that they won't be causing damage. It's kind of hard to sell a house when the floor slopes like a cereal bowl.

I'm in the process of checking. I recently aquired a 90 gallon tank for very cheap, so I'm trying to figure out if where I want to put it will hold it safely. I'm estimating right around 1000 lbs with rock and other stuff added. I honestly may pay someone to come out and give me a thumbs up or a thumbs down. The last thing I want to do is jack up my house.

Tanks up to 55 gallons generally are fine without checking, but above that is where you start to get in the gray area.

Here is an excellent writeup on structures and what to look for.

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Structure.htm

We have a 150 gal Tall tank. We are very particular about placement. When we moved from our first apt we would only look for apts with a slab, no basements or crawl spaces. When we moved to our current apt we put the tank at my work since it is on a slab. If it were a 150L, there would not have been any issue. But since it is a tall, there is no way I would put it anywhere but on a slab.

yeah most people dont even think about that kind of stuff, its great that you guys do though!! wouldn't that suck if your living room ended up in your basement!!!! i only keep a 55g but i do like to load it up with rocks. I just got done building a new stand and when i built the frame, i did it like a framer would frame a house. i laid two 2x4's parallel to each other on the flat(4") face to make up the 48" length of the tank, and then i miter-cut the two side (13") pieces, laid the same way, screwed and glued, then i sistered 2, 2x4's together for all 4 corners(making sure each on was sitting on both the 48" and 13" piece. i just ran a single 2x4 up the middle, 4" side facing me on the outside of my little sill, and scrap 3x3(ran outta lumbah) in the rear. then i repeated the bottom onto the top. anyway my whole thinking was that if i evenly distributed the weight, building it just like a house, everybody was that much better off! it is of course on a load bearing wall so its probably all overkill but what the heck!

Back
Top Bottom