how many cichlids do i need???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eko

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have the fallowing in my tanks and i want to know how many do i need to have to start a breeding colony....thank you.:fish1:

80g- 16 jewel cichlids(look kinda dull brown idk wat type they r pls help me on this too lol

40g breeder- 6 demasoni cichlids( all babies)

40g breeder- 10 mixed cichlids(all babies; yellow labs,orange, sum greyish ones)

i have the fallowing in my tanks and i want to know how many do i need to have to start a breeding colony....thank you.:fish1:

80g- 16 jewel cichlids(look kinda dull brown idk wat type they r pls help me on this too lol If we are talking about Hemichromis bimaculatus Jewel cichlids pair so having that many will be certain death for some when they start pairing and guarding fry.

40g breeder- 6 demasoni cichlids( all babies) Demasoni need to be in schools of 12-13 to prevent the males from killing everyone, stocking ratio is not terribly important with these guys. But you will see some hyper aggressive males that may need to be rehomed. I would not keep these guys in a 40B.

40g breeder- 10 mixed cichlids(all babies; yellow labs,orange, sum greyish ones) Mbuna need to be stocked with a ratio of 1m/4f for breeding purposes. I would not recommend mixing since all you'll have is worthless hybrids that have no bussines being offered for sale if that's your intentions...stick with one species for these guys

My responses are in red.

thank you so much how bout frontosas moba ones.how many shud i get to start in a 40 breeder b4 i take them to my 125g?

While I would not recommend them starting in a 40b they should be stocked in colony size anywhere from 1-3m/8f, I've always better luck with a single male as this reduces the chance for the alpha male to injur or kill the sub-dominants.

switch the jewl and demasoni around, demaosni having the 80 and jewls ( pair only, MAYBE two pairs may work but i dought it ) having the 40. and the other 40, stick with one specie and do 1 male 5 females ( i personally like the yellow labs, and red zebras ) but chose only one specie for that tank.

Back
Top Bottom