How many tiger barbs in a 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caincando1

Aquarium Advice Regular
This weekend I'm going to look at the used 125. It comes with filters but the seller wasn't sure what they where. I won't set it up unless it is well filtered. I'd like to do just one MONSTER school of tiger barbs and a bunch of corys.

Obviously it will take time to get it completely stocked. But I'm wondering how may could live comfortably in a 125.

I have no idea, just wanted to say I think that's is a SWEET stocking plan. I always thought a really big school of one species would be a real eye-catcher. Seems like 50 - 75 at least would be ok, don't you think? Any idea how you're going to 'scape it?

justrelax said:
I have no idea, just wanted to say I think that's is a SWEET stocking plan. I always thought a really big school of one species would be a real eye-catcher. Seems like 50 - 75 at least would be ok, don't you think? Any idea how you're going to 'scape it?

I'm thinking maybe black substrate to really set off the orange colors of the fish. Haven't really decided yet. For a while I've been planning to do a monster school of tiger b's. I finally found a used 125 that I can afford.

Personally, I wouldn't stock more than 40 tigers in a 125 - they get up to around 3 inches. Also, are you planning any type of cleaning crew, or are you just going "full tiger" in the tank?

src said:
Personally, I wouldn't stock more than 40 tigers in a 125 - they get up to around 3 inches. Also, are you planning any type of cleaning crew, or are you just going "full tiger" in the tank?

All tiger barbs and a clean up crew of cory for the bottom. I'm thinking a dozen corys maybe a few more.

I had 15 comfortably in a 55gal. I don't see 40 as an issue. Yoyo loaches are also good playmates with tiger barbs, plus decent cleaners. Mine play nicely with my corydoras.

Personally, I wouldn't stock more than 40 tigers in a 125 - they get up to around 3 inches
Just curious has anyone ever seen a 3" tigerbarb? I got some tigers that I've had for 5 years now and they are only 2". I'm think that they prolly only reach 3" max in the wild with the norm being 2 1/2". Please correct me if I'm wrong though. But a tank full of 3" tiger barbs would be stunning though.

875mill said:
Just curious has anyone ever seen a 3" tigerbarb? I got some tigers that I've had for 5 years now and they are only 2". I'm think that they prolly only reach 3" max in the wild with the norm being 2 1/2". Please correct me if I'm wrong though. But a tank full of 3" tiger barbs would be stunning though.

One of my LFS has some LARGE examples of fish you don't normally see that big. The Tiger Barbs were surprisingly large, and they have a Green Cory that looks like a Pit Bull with fins - 3.5" easy.

quite a few I would imagine, there realitivly small fish when they get mature, I would think easyily at least 20-25

I have a julii that is 3+inches long and my LFS has a couple neon tetra that are over 2 inches long.

As for your stocking, I can agree all tetra but mix them up! 10 of 3-5 different species that get along would be an awesome color display.

I'm soooooooo jealous.

That would be very interesting. The older my barbs get, the bigger wimps they get. My albinos, neon roseys and goldies are much more active.

My clown loaches get along very well with my tigers and they sort of match. Just an idea. They stick very close with the neon roseys.

875mill said:

actually i was just at a meijers, and saw some that were like 2.5"
they also has some big cherry barbs

I didn't get a chance to go and look a the used 125 this weekend. But I still plan to put to together a monster school of tiger barbs in the near future. I've done the community tanks in the past and I really like the idea of one single species of a colorful schooling fish. I love tiger barbs and thing a big tank full of them would be really cool.

Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom