How much is too much -- Light for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etunes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am getting new lights for my 75g and i was wondering how much light i can put in the tank before i start having issue with alge growth. I don't have the money or the time for CO2 or any major ferts right now. I was hoping to be abble to keep low-medium to medium light plants in the tank but i know if you havee too much light without CO2 and ferts the alage will start taking advantage of it.

Here is what i was thinking about getting : http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/current-usa-nova-extreme-48-2x54w-125724.html#post1070626

should be fine. i have one of them on a 60 gallon tank. as for the algae question even a little light can cause algae its all about balance. good price too.

As mgamer said, just about any light can cause algae. Splitting the photo period can help. I run my lights about 10hr a day and when I did it for 10hr straight, I had all sorts of BBA and hair algae problems. I split the photo period so that the lights are on when I get up in the morning, off for most of the day when I'm at work, and on again when I get home, and the algae is disapperaring with no changes in my plants.

I think it will be the best light setup ever.. You will have the best, most lush plants ever seen.. (I am the one selling the light fixture) :)

I really like the fixture, but I am one of those that likes actinic bulbs because it seems to make my fish pop.. So that's why I'm going to a bigger fixture.. :)

Back
Top Bottom