How much is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fatcatmatt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there!

I’m currently running a 10G tank. With the following stock list. I’m just wondering if it’s already too much? I tried using aqadvisor but I know it’s just a basic guide. Thought I take it to the forums.

9 x ember tetras
1 x honey gurami
7 x blue velvet shrimps

It’s rather planted with Anubais, Java fern, Amazon sword, moss, water weeds along with some hiding spots. Double filtration - I’m running a small over flow sump + corner filter. With bio media, bio balls and mechanical filters of course. I’m even thinking of getting a 3rd canister filter (still processing this..)

Ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0.12 Mg/l, replacement nitrate tester on its way.

In fact, I’m trying to be cheeky and push it further by adding 2 x clown killifish. Just for something top dwelling at the top of the tank as currently they are mostly bottom / mid dwellers. Would it be too crazy? I just don’t wanna make a rash decision. Was just thinking about it since the tetras actually have a tiny bio load.

Moving to a bigger tank isn’t an option, as my wife already thinks this is too big. If the above is not possible, I rather have happy fishes =)

I think you could prolly get away with two more tiny fish but no more otherwise it’s just fish stacked in fish and theirs no room for them.

Thanks all =)

Yes I agree. I have to say. I recently actually got away with ich just purely on heat and daily WC. Nothing additional and with no casualties. Proper stocking indeed is important!

I think you fine right where you are. (It sounds like a pretty combination of fish, too) If you want more help with algae control, a nerite snail or two would be a viable choice.

Thank you! Especially amidst the green plants and dark substrate. They do stand out quite a bit.

The snails.. yes. I actually do have 2 of them. An apple and a zebra. But definitely keep the tank algae free. Honestly these guys poo way more than the fishes.... Wonder if they contribute much to the bioload. I find myself gravel vacs their poo all the time.

Back
Top Bottom