how much lighting for a bta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 20 gallon reef tank with two bta's. One is about 2 inchs in diameter and bleached out but I am bring it back- it has regained coloration and is healthy. But my other one is about 3 inchs in diameter and it was all green and healthy when I got it about 2 months ago but it seems to have slowly declined in health. The anemone is ok but this morning it fell down upside on itself which I know isn't good and it's tentacles aren't inflated. All water params are fine, all corals in the tank are fine and the other bta is getting healthier. I was wondering if it needs more light. I have a 65 watt pc fixture. So a little more than 3wpg. I am thinking about getting a 130 watt pc on it. Would that be better for it? Or what should I get? If I get this how would I acclimate the corals to it since it is double the intensity? I can't but them all on the bottom of the tank so they can adjust.

You`ll definitely need more than you have. IMO the 130 watt will be close. You might be OK.BTA`s need alot of light.

Ok. I will get the fixture for Christmas then. That's really the best fixture I can afford for the moment. When I get another tank I'll get MH w/ actinic compact flourescents.

Will the corals be ok to leave where they are when I put the new fixture in? Because it is double the output so...

Thanks.

Lance M. said:
Ok. I will get the fixture for Christmas then. That's really the best fixture I can afford for the moment. When I get another tank I'll get MH w/ actinic compact flourescents.
Just a suggestion, wait till after Christmas, and get the better lighting, so you don't have extra lights sitting around and waste your money. Tose do need to be in a mature tank of about 6-12 months, that might help you decide on wether to wait or not.....

roka64 said:
Tose do need to be in a mature tank of about 6-12 months, that might help you decide on wether to wait or not.....

What do you mean by this statement?

And I meant that I am going to get the 130 watt to but on the tank and that's it. When I said about getting the MH I was talking about when I move to TN in about 7 months and set up a whole new tank from scratch cause I'm gonna leave my 20 gallon reef with my dad here in SC and prob sell my freshwater or have him get one big tank to combine my freshwater tanks.

I meant, "those" not tose (BTA) need a mature tank.

Ok well the tank is 6 months old and when I set it up I put in 30 lbs of cured lr and 20 lbs of lace rock.

Back
Top Bottom