How much oxygen is too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scragins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought an aqua one nautilus 1100 canister filter for my 200L tank, and I have 2 air stones in it. The outlet for the filter creates a lot of oxygen into the water as it drops in hard. There are now hundreds of tiny air bubbles. Is it too much?

http://imgur.com/a/rMuwYkt

I just bought an aqua one nautilus 1100 canister filter for my 200L tank, and I have 2 air stones in it. The outlet for the filter creates a lot of oxygen into the water as it drops in hard. There are now hundreds of tiny air bubbles. Is it too much?

http://imgur.com/a/rMuwYkt

You can lower the spray bar below the water line and point it towards the surface. There’s only so much oxygen you can ‘get in’ water by surface agitation. I’d be worried about so many tiny bubbles possible sticking to the fish. The airstones would be sufficient for oxygen.

One things for sure. Those fish will definitely appreciate it.

I've been doing some weekly spot treatments using H2O2 for BBA and hair algae. As the extra oxygen molecule is released, my fish certainly become energized.

I've been doing some weekly spot treatments using H2O2 for BBA and hair algae. As the extra oxygen molecule is released, my fish certainly become energized.

I’ve never uses h2o2 but be careful with the dosages. Heard plenty of horror stories. Plants (if you can) are a good idea for oxygen too since they remove carbon dioxide and produce 100% o2. Air is only 21% oxygen no matter how much aeration you have. A mixture of both is a great safety net for your system.

You can lower the spray bar below the water line and point it towards the surface. There’s only so much oxygen you can ‘get in’ water by surface agitation. I’d be worried about so many tiny bubbles possible sticking to the fish. The airstones would be sufficient for oxygen.

One things for sure. Those fish will definitely appreciate it.

Curious: those tiny bubbles you say sticking to fish, do they resemble ich?

I noticed the fish were a heap more active after installing this canister filter. The extra oxygen seems to be really good for them. Not so worried now, though might submerge half of the output as Caliban07 mentioned the air bubbles sticking to the fish. Haven't noticed any yet but will keep an eye out. Thanks fellas

I noticed the fish were a heap more active after installing this canister filter. The extra oxygen seems to be really good for them. Not so worried now, though might submerge half of the output as Caliban07 mentioned the air bubbles sticking to the fish. Haven't noticed any yet but will keep an eye out. Thanks fellas

Curious because I have an air stone and it does create tiny bubbles which stuck to one or two fish. I keep it on about 10 - 12 hrs during the day only. Why would the sticking be a bad thing?

Something a little different and I had to look it back up was gas bubble disease. From memory I can only recall one or two cases - maybe goldfish(?).

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/species/disease/pdfs/fishdiseases/gas_bubble_disease.pdf

Never heard of over-aeration issues from anyone locally.

I’ve had tap water releasing a lot of bubbles once but that was a tank water change straight after filling a swimming pool back up and I’m assuming the water was more pressurised or something.

Last edited:
Something a little different and I had to look it back up was gas bubble disease. From memory I can only recall one or two cases - maybe goldfish(?).

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/species/disease/pdfs/fishdiseases/gas_bubble_disease.pdf

Never heard of over-aeration issues from anyone locally.

I’ve had tap water releasing a lot of bubbles once but that was a tank water change straight after filling a swimming pool back up and I’m assuming the water was more pressurised or something.

Probably not much of an issue really in terms of the bubbles but it certainly doesn’t look normal when they adhere to the slime coat.

Back
Top Bottom