How much should shrimp cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MC1973

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking into shrimp, my planted tank is unheated and I heard shrimp will do fine in the 60's without heating as long as there is a filter. The tank is heavily planted in fluorite and I dose daily. It's high light.

My fish stores sell ghost shrimp for like 10 cents each.
I was looking into the red cherry shrimp, but I haven't been able to find a place that does sell them, how much should they run at?
Do you recommend any other types of shrimp?
I have seen these huge bamboo shrimp, but I'm not sure if they eat plants or not (I don't want ones that will eat plants.)

For red cherry shrimp i have seen them from 2$ each to like 6$ each. Also the bamboo shrimp wouldnt eat the plants because it is a filter feader, which means it eats stuff in the water column. And the bamboo shrimps "pinchers" are actually just like fans so they couldnt hurt anything.

MC1973 said:
I was looking into shrimp, my planted tank is unheated and I heard shrimp will do fine in the 60's without heating as long as there is a filter. The tank is heavily planted in fluorite and I dose daily. It's high light.

My fish stores sell ghost shrimp for like 10 cents each.
I was looking into the red cherry shrimp, but I haven't been able to find a place that does sell them, how much should they run at?
Do you recommend any other types of shrimp?
I have seen these huge bamboo shrimp, but I'm not sure if they eat plants or not (I don't want ones that will eat plants.)

Shrimp are sensitive to Nitrates. I try to keep mine under 20ppm. I know people keep them in High Tech tanks, but often start off with CO2 low and increase gradually.

There are lots of posts on this on The Planted Tank.

I've seen RCS in stores from around 2-4 bucks each. You can get them online for around a dollar or less each, shipping included.

Any chance you've got a good link for that cheapness? lol

Shrimp are sensitive to Nitrates. I try to keep mine under 20ppm. I know people keep them in High Tech tanks, but often start off with CO2 low and increase gradually.

There are lots of posts on this on The Planted Tank.
There's plenty of posts and experienced shrimp keepers (such as yourself) here, too, at the forum we are part of and posting on currently. :whistle:
Any chance you've got a good link for that cheapness? lol

Our forum classifieds usually has something pop up every now and again. If you find nothing there, aquabid always has some.

It also depends on what grade RCS you were looking into. For example, regular red cherry shrimp go for about, as jeta said, a dollar per shrimp online. Then, if you want PFR's (painted fire reds) they usually go from $4 to $6 a shrimp. Oh, PFR's are just a strain of RCS bred for their dark ruby color.

How much should shrimp cost? Oh about 2.99 depending if you go to red lobster or long John silvers. Lol I'm just kidding. My lfs sells them for $3 a shrimp, cute guys never owned one though.

http://www.bobstropicalplants.com/shop/en/shrimp/91-cherry-shrimp.html

This guy sells them for 1.50 a piece, ships etc. don't know shipping costs though. Sometimes you will pay more for shipping than you will for the fish and some places have a minimum $ amount before they ship

Back
Top Bottom