How much weight for rocks ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sidsam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone... I have a new 20 gallon Marineland tank which is currently under going fishless cycling. The price of large ornaments in this neck of the woods is outrageous so I've been thinking of adding some rocks that I can collect on a nearby beach. I wondering what the weight limitations are. Would I be able to add 5 or 10lbs of rock without a problem? Any tips or whatever anyone could pass along would be welcome.

thanks, charlie

It's not so much the weight of the rock but how much room it takes up.... If they are too packed together it can cause ammonia spikes from detritus buildup and you want to make sure the fish actually have room to swim lol

Money can't buy happiness.... But I can buy fish, which is kind of the same thing.

Far more important than either weight or room it occupies, because in most cases adding 10 to 15 lbs of rock to a 20 gallon aquarium won't be an issue, is the question of whether or not you should. Many beach rocks have a calcium carbonate composition, which means they will affect the pH of your aquarium, which may or may not be a factor, depending on what you plan on doing with the tank.

Back
Top Bottom