How NOT deep of a sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright well, the next time i want to change my tank around, either an upgrade to a 75G or a downgrade to a 40 or 50G.. I don't want to have nassarius snails.. but i still want to have a sandbed. Are there any other routes to go about keeping the sandbed sifted? My pistol shrimp moves tons of sand around just about everyday, but i dont know if just him will be good enough. Also, if there are no other things besides the dumb snails, how deep could i make the sand bed without having to get anything to sift it? Within what range of depth can it be? Just wondering if there is anything out there other then nassa snails that sift the sand.

Thanks guys.

IMO the fear of 'gas bubbles' in a 2-3" (or deeper) sandbed is highly overrated. As is the requirement for sand sifters.

anyway..pods do it, some stars, even your clowns or other fish..

Oh. Well.. thanks for that. I would have agreed with you on the overrated thing, but people kept telling me i should have gotten something to sift the sand.. but my sandbed really isnt that deep.. 3" at the max.. its not like 5" or anything.

Dang.. If i had known this earlier.. i would not have gotten those fugly, tank raiding snails. :p Ah well, better i know now than never. Next upgrade/downgrade, maybe i'll just get a "sandshifter sea star" and let it starve to death in my tank, while half its body is sticking out of the sand because the sand isn't deep enough. XD J/k.. i wouldn't do that.. or would i? Haha. I don't even know if i'm going to get another pistol shrimp.. because this one is making a mess of my sand as it is. I really like everything to be.. somewhat perfect. Idk.. call me crazy.

Well thanks for the info Captain.

Thank God the world isn't flat or else there'd only be a few of us left... ya know

You could get a diamond goby, they are good sifters.

Yeah, the fish i wanted to get to sift sand was the sleeper banded goby(bullet goby) because they sift sand all day. I was also going to get a yellow watchman because they burrow. But now idk if i want to get anything that legitimately "burrows" in the sand, because then that will just keep messing up my perfect little world haha. Maybe just some sand sifters would be fine, but then thats it.

Yeah, the fish i wanted to get to sift sand was the sleeper banded goby(bullet goby) because they sift sand all day.

(y)

img_1032346_0_bdcfdf8994516fa2ba471e447396d09e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom