How often should I change my filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdjxt39

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Fluval 405 canister filter and I was wondering how often should I change the media in it?

It would be helpful to have some info about the size of your tank and what's in it. What type of media do you have in the canister? Is there any other filtration?

It is a 55 gallon tank, only other forms of filtration are the live rock and live sand I have in the tank. Today I am going out to purchase a protein skimmer and I only have 3 damsels and a flame angel in there at the moment.

Also currently I have all the different media types in there, the little white cylinders and the carbon packs.

WELCOME TO AA!!

You shouldn't have to change the "cylinders', that is where your beneficial bacteria reside. The carbon, once a month, that just keeps your water clear. You may want to rinse out the sponges in old SW, when you do your PWCs. I only did mine once a month, but I have a low bioload. How many sponges are in that filter? I had 4 in my 304.

It is one gigantic sponge that takes up the whole height of the filter.

WOW. You can update your "my info" with your tank/equip/critters, to help us see what you have.

In SW reefing mechanical filters such as sponges should be cleaned regularly to avoid issues with nitrates. I rinse my sponges weekly. HTH and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom