How To Bring Down Levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishhappy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I was wondering how you bring down nitrate nitrate and water hardness in freshwater fish tank? I have tried using easy balance to bring down the nitrate and nitrite levels but it's still unsuccessful. Nitrate is at 160(unsafe) Nitrite is at 1(stress) and water is very hard. I did a 20%water change, changed the carbon, and adde a love plant. Any suggestions would be great!

Lots and lots of large water changes to bring the nitrite and nitrate down. Thats the only fix. As for the hardness, I'm sure it's fine. Most fish can adapt of different water chemistry. As long as its stable it's fine.

As above. Bigger water changes.

Don't waste your time looking for fancy skimmers or nitrate removing media.

Just takes one/two big water changes to get nitrates down then it's just a matter of staying on top of it.

In addition to the water changes, please consider investing in a decent liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit. Strips are inaccurate at best and will cost ten times the money in the long run when compared to a liquid kit. You need to know your ammonia levels as well as nitrite, nitrate & ph.

Water changes along with gravel vacs, maybe less feedings or less amounts of food. One thing a lot of people overlook is the filters, make sure your filter housing is clean and keep them clean. Canister filters can become nitrate factories if not maintained. In the the end plants were the solution to bringing my nitrate levels down and keeping them there. Plants like hornwort, wisteria, and water sprite are nitrate sponges, they're fast easy growers.

Back
Top Bottom