How to catch damsels in a 75 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimmye4fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have had 2 clownfish and our blue tang for a week and the damsels are too aggressive. I have a friend that wants them but I can't catch the fast little things. Any tips? Thanks

We have had 2 clownfish and our blue tang for a week and the damsels are too aggressive. I have a friend that wants them but I can't catch the fast little things. Any tips? Thanks

take the rockwork out :/ sorry. thats what most people resort to.

You can make or buy a fish trap. One example could be to use a net and put food in it and wait. Damsels are hard to catch so many people often do have to take everything out to catch them, unfortunately :L.

If you have the clearance, you can use 2 nets. One larger net is set up in a corner with just a small amount of space between the net frame and one side wall. The other side of the net is flush against the other wall. The second net is your "chaser" net. Use this one to gently encourage the fish towards the corner trap. Once inside the trap net, just flatten the net against the front glass so it can't escape. Other than this method or a box fish trap, I'm afraid I have to agree with the above posts that your decor will have to come out. Sorry :(

Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the other suggestions before I remove the rock. The damsels are just too aggressive and need to go.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the other suggestions before I remove the rock. The damsels are just too aggressive and need to go.

LOL I don't blame you ;) Just remember one thing: no matter how much you disagree, the fish is going to be smarter than you. :D Chasing them will lead to frustration.:banghead: If you go with nets, use the second net to just guide them towards the right direction not chase them.

Good luck and keep us posted. Happy fishing (y)

Did this 3 weeks ago with a 3 stripe. Removed 60% of my rock just so I could " have a chance" to catch him... Painful process for sure!!

I just caught a very quick dotty back same problem
I built a fish trap and it worked
Take a plastic bottle 2 liter or pint will work
Cut off the top where it curves down to the side
Invert the top of bottle in main piece
Remove cap, put some food in bottle and fill with water - the damsels favorite
Punch a few small holes in bottle so it will sink
Since damsels are bold they should be first into the trap
They swim in and can't get out
It took about 6 hours for my dotty back to get bold enough
You can let bottle sink to bottom or perch it on some rock
Give it a try won't cost you much
DJB

DJB.....I like that idea. We caught one tonight while feeding. Gave up on the other 3 for now. Your idea is on tomorrow!

Oh - I feel sorry for you with 4 of them to trap
I guess keep trying
My Dottyback was terrorizing my Scooter Goby
He already took out another Scooter, I just did not realize it could be the Dottyback

I had t catch a couple domino damsels in my 200 gallon. Ended up taking out 70 % of the rock. Tried it all but damsels always outsmarted me. Now I think 3 times before adding fish to the tank.

I just caught a very quick dotty back same problem
I built a fish trap and it worked
Take a plastic bottle 2 liter or pint will work
Cut off the top where it curves down to the side
Invert the top of bottle in main piece
Remove cap, put some food in bottle and fill with water - the damsels favorite
Punch a few small holes in bottle so it will sink
Since damsels are bold they should be first into the trap
They swim in and can't get out
It took about 6 hours for my dotty back to get bold enough
You can let bottle sink to bottom or perch it on some rock
Give it a try won't cost you much
DJB

I like it!!! Def. will be trying this next time.

My wife caught all but one last night while she was feeding them. We tried that several times but I guess they got sloppy. They are in their new tank (buddies tank) and waiting for the last one. Thanks for the advice guys!

Ok, last update! Had to remove 3/4 of the rock in order to catch this little thing. Man they are fast! Oh well it's all done. Thanks again for all the advice.

I had the same issue trying to catch my foxface to change tanks, out goes the rock, and my snowflake eel was not happy about it! I think my damsels will just have to stay for now!

Back
Top Bottom