How to cycle 10 gallon fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently got my hands on 3 10 gallon tanks I'm planning on setting up to grow out some fry since I have a couple holding females. I'm also getting some sponge filters.

Will these work good for fry or should I use normal hob filters? Also, if I use the sponge, will that be adequate for a holding female if I move her until she spits? How can I get the tank cycled if I plan to add the holding female? Will bacteria grow on the sponge filter?

Thanks.

You can remove the sponge part of put in your other filter for awhile and it will get seeded. Yes, sponge filters should be fine for all of those plans.

The sponge filter will be fine for fry and is one of the popular options among breeders. The HOB is also more likely to suck up fry.

With a sponge filter, the bacteria will grow in the sponge. Since it also acts as the mechanical filter, you'll have to clean it occasionally. If you have chrlorinated water, make sure to clean it in a bucket of water pre-treated with prime.

If you can add the sponge in another tank for a couple of weeks, it should start growing a culture and your new tank will be cycled in days.

Back
Top Bottom