How to cycle my 29 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cauterox04

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got it all set up got my heater running and filter running what's the next step how long do I wait and should I are a fish or not. I'm not sure please someone help me and do I need a test kit

Read the guide to starting a freshwater aquarium (link below) it will guide you in how to cycle. The two basic ways are fish-in and fish-less. A test kit is recommended, but I suppose you could get around it in a fish-less cycle. Maybe. You should just get the API Master test kit (liquid)

Add Prime and that's it. Get the temp up to around 84-86 degrees and buy a test kit. Dose the aquarium with 100% ammonia to about 4ppm. Sit back and wait. It takes a long time.

Alternative, do it the not so smart way by adding in fish and watch the deaths occur. Your choice.

How long do I wait after I add that stuff for it to finish the cycle

Check out the link that Mae provided up there, "Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium" which should answer a lot of your questions about how to get your tank up and running

You should get a test kit, API Freshwater Master Test Kit. About $20 on Amazon, $30 if you go to a local store.

Fishless cycling will take about a month, but is (in my opinion) the least work as there isn't anything to screw up

Back
Top Bottom