How to determine if filter flow is adequate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesktopTankDiva

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

My tank is a 3.5 gallon kit, currently cycling and unstable(!). Since I purchased it as a kit there is no info on the measure of water flow the filter puts out. How can I determine if the flow is adequate? The water seems to softly move through the filter and does not create much turbulence on the surface. My bubble wand causes some movement but the filter on its own barely produces a soft ripple.

Years ago I had a 5 gal Marineland kit with a mini bio-wheel that was an enjoyable little aquarium, the filter seemed to move water well. My current kit seems to lack in the filter department. I am willing to spring for a replacement filter but I'm unsure of my options since my tank's size is limiting. When I feel comfortable that my cycle is complete I plan on housing 2 male Endlers. I currently have 2 small banana plants, 2 small java ferns, and 2 red something-or-anothers that looked a lot cooler in the fish store tank than they do in mine.

DesktopD

I purchased a new filter today, pic below. I'm hoping you guys will give me your opinions.

I found a newly upgraded Top Fin internal filter, adequate for tanks 10 - 20 gal. I purchased it because it was the smallest larger-capacity filter I could find for my 3.5 gal tank. I actually got it to fit inside my tank with a little work, and I was even able to manipulate the tank lid/cover closed. It filters 90 gal per hour, and although I haven't tried to plug it in and take it for a test run, I'm certain it will offer better water movement than my current filter.

By the way, I realized filters are labeled with info and discovered my current filter (it came as a tank kit) filters 20 gal per hour. I have read this rate in adequate, I'm just worried that it is too gentle and doesn't break the water surface. I don't really want to rely on a blasting bubble wand for water movement.

I was hoping to get advice on which filter would be preferable for fish/tank health. I'd rather use the kit filter as its small and made for the tank but I am worried the slow water flow would be inadequate for 2 male Endlers.

Thanks folks!

Attachments

• 20190105_011700.jpg
    20190105_011700.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 86
Dang.....that's pushing 25x tank turnover for you. Lol. You may blast those fish all over the tank. I think your 20gph filter would be ok but I also think you would want to position it, if you can, so that you agitate the surface. As far as the size of the stock filter I think it's adequate for two fish in a 3.5g.

I would agree. Thats way to much. Your water is going to be like a turbulent water fall. You should be fine with a 4-5 times turn over.

Awesome! The API filter has dimensions that should fit my tank so I ordered it. I'm hoping I can properly close my tank lid, if not it has free returns.

Thanks for the advice and the link! Will take pics when it arrives!

It suctions on the inside of the tank or hangs on the back with three height adjustments. You can remove the little plastic guard on top of the filter to get more surface agitation. The gaurd is for directing flow downward and lessing it for more sensitive fish. I was able to use it with a lid in my betta tank. I got away from this filter because it was to much for a betta in a 3g tank and it only lasted one year before going out......this was true to form on both filters I purchased. $13 a year wasn't a big deal as much as the flow for my betta.

Hi everyone,

I ordered the API internal filter that KingFish recommended and it did well on its test run! It takes up a little more room than the filter in the kit but it seems to move and agitate the water much better. It's actually a lot more powerful than I anticipated; it has 3 small holes that it pushes water out through as opposed to a waterfall type of flow.

The best part is that it fits under the lid that came with my tank kit! I can close it perfectly, the hook that hangs the filter is small enough and positioned well enough that the tubing and electrical cord peepholes in the lid can accommodate it.

Second best part is that it was on my doorstep in 36 hrs with standard shipping (what? so awesome!), and that it was an Amazon Warehouse deal for $8 (huh? so so awesome!).

And it's even kitty cat approved.

Thanks for the recommendation!
DesktopD

Attachments

• 20190111_230700.jpg
    20190111_230700.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20190111_230605.jpg
    20190111_230605.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190111_231020.jpg
    20190111_231020.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 64
If you PM me your address I'll send you a box full of filters for it. I bought like over a year supply and had it for a few months before I decided to go to something else.

Back
Top Bottom