How to fix "old tank syndrome"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am going to request no lectures on the fact that I have let my tank go for so long. The last time I did a water change was late November, we were traveling most of December & I knew that the tank would be okay when I resumed my weekly water changes in January. In January I found out that the baby I was carrying (I was 21 wks pregnant) had died in utero & he was stillborn the next day. Needless to say, I have spent the last several months dealing with many things other than my fish. I feel badly for the fish, but that was not a priority in my life.

But now I am ready to get back to doing things like taking care of my fish tank. I know that doing too much to my aquarium will end up killing all the fish b/c the shock will be too great to go from bad water to good water. So what is the best way to get my tank back on track? It is a planted tank, my plants are in really bad shape- I am guessing I should remove all the plants?

Tank inhabitants are two clown loaches, one gourami, some guppies and orange von rio tetras. It is a 58 gallon. I can't find my test kit & right now I cannot afford to buy a new one.

Thank you for your help.

First, I won't lecture you, but others probably will, lol. It's just the nature of forums where people give what advice they feel is necessary.....

As for what to do, you really can't do too much. And no, it won't shock your fish either. Water changes are what is needed most. I'd change at least 50% of the water a couple times this week, and maybe once more next week, and your water issue should be on track. Also, for the gravel vac, do a half tank at a time. Maybe do a thorough job on the left side with the first water change, then the right side on the 2nd water change, then another quickie gravel vac for the whole tank on the 3rd time. But if your using a plant substrate, no need to gravel vac, just clean up the unsightly stuff. If you have gravel, and some of the plants are planted in it, no need to gravel vac around the plant roots, the plants need the food.

As for the plants, a good trimming would probably be just fine. Trim off any dead and bad stuff, and if any algae on better leaves, brush it off with an old toothbrush. If the plant looks real bad, but does have some good branches, depending on the plant type, you could pull the plant out completely, and cut off the good stems and replant the good stems.

Just some ideas on where to start. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. :)

Life sometimes gets in the way and aquariums get pushed to the background. I've been there myself, so you'll get no lecture from me.

I'm not much with plants but if they don't look like they can be saved, I'd probably go ahead and pull them.

As far as the tank itself goes- take small steps. You don't want to do anything too drastic, which could lead to pH fluctuations and other drastic changes in water chemistry to shock the fish. Remember, they've gone this long in the tank so taking things slowly isn't going to hurt them. I'd probably start with some small, frequent water changes to get your water quality back up to par. After the water is squared away, you could then get into re-planting, rearranging, etc.

I wouldn't start off with 50% pwc. The stress maybe to much.

I'd pull the plants but try to save what i could and add them back to the tank as they'll help with the nitrates. I'd even go as far a s saying buy some hornwort or anachris because they are nitrate hogs.

For water changes. I also had OTS from lack of maintenance though it was a 20 gallon at the time.
You have 2 options:

Change 25% of the water twice a day 10-12 hrs apart.After 3 days then you can move up to 50% pwcs.

If time restraints won't let you then just do 25% daily.After about 3 days then you can move up to 33% pwcs. Another 3 days then 50% pwcs.

It took me 9 days to get my nitrates back down to around 20 ppm doing it the 2nd way.

The best advice I have is anything is better than nothing. Small water changes when you can a couple times a week until you can get back into the routine. Fish in the wild often go through massive water changes from floods, drought, landslides and such so most of them have it in the genetics to deal with big changes. Just get back into it slowly or whatever feels comfortable and you should be on your way.

sorry to hear about the bad past few months, my tank went downhill when found out I had stomach problems do to stupidity years ago, I couldn't play music anymore, it sucked, anywyas I would do small 10 % water changes

Thanks for the advice. I will do a daily water change for the next week or two until things are the way they are supposed to, then I will go back to weekly changes like before.

I did find my test kit after much searching.

Nitrate 80-160
Nitrite .5-1.0
ph 6.8
ammonia 0

The last one surprised me. I did the test twice with the same results. I guess the plants really helped plus the fact that the tank is lightly populated.

Doing the PWC's will get your nitrate down, as well as helping keep the nitrites down til everything kicks in. And yes, the plants are a great source for removing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. The more plants you have, the more that will be removed.

WOW those nitrates are scarry!!!!i am suprised that the plants arnt doing a better job. i would say do a bunch of small water changes to help with the nitrates. as for the plants they can almost always be saved. do a really big trim and get rid of all the old bad growth. even if u almost strip the stems down to nothing the plants will usually start new growth out of the top once it is in better conditions. tank your time over the next week and slowly rebuild it. gravel vac whenever u do a water change since it wont hurt for your tank to be to clean. and the number one thing is only work on the aquarium when u fell in the mood to. if u try to do it at a time that u dont want to it will make u miserable and not want to continue. even if that mean skipping a day of maintence. whenever i try to work on it when i dont have enough time or something else in on my mind it always ends up being bad. cleanign and pruning should be a time for u to relax and just enjoy what u are doing. i hope every goes good for u over the next while i am sure that u deserve a break. oh and how could u go that long without cleaning your tank!!! thats terrible i cant believe it!!! lol joking. someone had to do it :wink:

((((((((((((((Kimberly))))))))))))))

That's a lot of tough things to handle and of course you're grieving. I'm so so sorry. No lecture from me about the fish. I think the fish will understand. Just water changes.

Be gentle with yourself.

You don't want to do anything too suddenly Kimberly.

Here's what I would do:

1. Remove all dead and decaying leaves from plants and tank. Plants have been known to bounce back so I wouldn't trash them.

2. Gradually increase the pwc from 10% daily to 25% over a weeks time. Gravel vac portions of the tank with each pwc.

3. Clean your filter. Take care not to harm the bioload by rinsing media in tank water.

Back
Top Bottom