How to get rid of Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legit Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 10 gallon planted guppy tank and apparently have a huge ich out break! i have the temperature set at 90 degrees and aquarium salt. why are they still in my tank if it is said that they die out a 89 degrees or higher? should i just wait a few more days?

Typically when I need to treat for ich, I'll incrementally raise the temperature to 84ºF over a day or two and administer medication.

I recommend API Super Ick Cure for treating Ich. It effectively treats ich, but be careful as it may stain ornaments and sealant. I've used it and the only thing it has stained is my filter sponge which I don't look at too often so it's not a big deal.

If the potential for stain frightens you, I've heard good things but have never tried Kordon Ick Attack. If you do try this, I'd be curious to hear your results.

On another note, raising the temperature in an aquarium decreases the level of dissolved oxygen in the water so it is good practice it increase oxygenation when raising temperature to not suffocate the fishies.

Typically when I need to treat for ich, I'll incrementally raise the temperature to 84ºF over a day or two and administer medication.

I recommend API Super Ick Cure for treating Ich. It effectively treats ich, but be careful as it may stain ornaments and sealant. I've used it and the only thing it has stained is my filter sponge which I don't look at too often so it's not a big deal.

If the potential for stain frightens you, I've heard good things but have never tried Kordon Ick Attack. If you do try this, I'd be curious to hear your results.

On another note, raising the temperature in an aquarium decreases the level of dissolved oxygen in the water so it is good practice it increase oxygenation when raising temperature to not suffocate the fishies.
thanks for the advice and i have two large air stones in the tank for oxygen! and i can't really use other medication liquids because it would kill my plants and inverts so i guess ill try to take them out!

It still takes time even at high heat or meds. I've found it can take say 2 weeks to get rid of it all and then another week or two of checking. I know at high heat it should cycle through in 3-4 days but I've never had that plus there may be some you can't see.

Back
Top Bottom