how to get rid of this unknown worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KongfuCookie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got some new plants yesterday and one hour after I planted the plants, I found several worms climbing on the tank wall. What are they?

It seems like they are multiplying (because I found more today). They are thread like white/transparent worms. They are so tiny that my fish (betta) don't really see them and eat them.

What should I do? They look so yucky. I need to get rid of them. Suggestions please!

Attachments

• 2014-02-12 14.54.27.jpg
    2014-02-12 14.54.27.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 126
Sounds like you might have a worm called "Planaria".They probably didnt come from the plants.They come from the substrate when there is to much uneaten food.They dont harm fish,they are just ugly little things.They was probably stired up when you put the plants in.Best way to get rid of them ,i guess,would be to clean the gravel.I wouldnt go to crazy dealing with them and im willing to bet there are not many aquariums out there that dont have them.Just cut back on the food and vacuum the gravel.

I just put CaribSea Eco-Complete substrate into my tank two days ago, and I didn't see any worm until yesterday when I put the new plants (ones attached to the lava rock). Is it possible those worms were hiding inside the lava rock?

I only have one baby betta in that tank. I feed her one piece of soaked pellet per day. There is no food dropped in the bottom of the tank at all.

The worms are so yucky. I really hope there is way to get rid of them....

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't look like planaria to me. Does it look like a flat worm (like a mini white slug) with a head that looks like an arrow? Or does it look like a round worm like a miniature version of an earthworm but all white? If it's the latter, then it's most likely nematodes (aka: detritus worms). Nematodes found in an aquarium are mostly harmless.

Back
Top Bottom