How to prevent snails coming in on new plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Townie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to put some live plants in my aquarium to both help reduce nitrates and for aesthetics. Our daughter had a snail infestation after she added a plant to hers. I thought is was because it came from an unreputable shop but I’ve spoken to a couple of more reputable local shops and they’ve confirmed it’s an issue. Is there a recommended pretreatment? I’ve hear add copper/don’t add copper. Add Alum/don’t add alum. Help.

I want to put some live plants in my aquarium to both help reduce nitrates and for aesthetics. Our daughter had a snail infestation after she added a plant to hers. I thought is was because it came from an unreputable shop but I’ve spoken to a couple of more reputable local shops and they’ve confirmed it’s an issue. Is there a recommended pretreatment? I’ve hear add copper/don’t add copper. Add Alum/don’t add alum. Help.
The only way to avoid getting snails ( or any other nasty) from your new plants is to dip them or quarantine them. This may help you with the process: https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/376/?aid=376

I get all my plants from tropica, packaged up, never been in an environment with snails. Guaranteed to be pest and algae free.

Try to get plants from suppliers that don't keep snails in their tanks.

Try to buy hydroponically or tissue cultured plants because these won't have snails.

A copper bath will cause any snails to drop off plants in seconds and kill most other microscopic organisms. However, you need to rinse the plants well afterwards to prevent unwanted copper getting into the aquarium and possibly harming invertebrates like shrimp that are in the main tank.

Check the plant leaves for small clumps of jelly. These are snail eggs and should be scraped off the plant with your fingernail.

Try to get plants from suppliers that don't keep snails in their tanks.

Try to buy hydroponically or tissue cultured plants because these won't have snails.

A copper bath will cause any snails to drop off plants in seconds and kill most other microscopic organisms. However, you need to rinse the plants well afterwards to prevent unwanted copper getting into the aquarium and possibly harming invertebrates like shrimp that are in the main tank.

Check the plant leaves for small clumps of jelly. These are snail eggs and should be scraped off the plant with your fingernail.

Thanks! I found a local shop that sells plant cultures.

I run new plants under running water, feeling/squishing along for any hitchhikers. Then I rinse them in bottled water because I don't trust the chem-chlorine fluctuating levels of my tap water. Then I dab dry with a paper towel before adding to the tank.

I run new plants under running water, feeling/squishing along for any hitchhikers. Then I rinse them in bottled water because I don't trust the chem-chlorine fluctuating levels of my tap water. Then I dab dry with a paper towel before adding to the tank.
Thanks! I rinsed mine off in tap water too.

It is inevitable that you get pest snails along with any plant. I've purchased plants from 'reputable' companies and I get snails. I treat every plant before it goes into the tank with Reverse Respiration. www.reverserespiration.com

It places plants in a high pressure, pure-CO2 solution that asphyxiates the snails, worms, eggs, aerobic bacteria and insect larva but actually enriches the plants with an intense CO2 environment. This is done for 12 hours, in the dark.

The plants are then placed in plain water (an O2 environment) for at least 30 minutes which suddenly changes the pressure which kills off any remaining eggs or anaerobic bacteria (if any). This last step also helps destroy any remaining algae.

You’ll need as much seltzer as is required to fully submerge the plants you are cleaning. It makes the plants quite buoyant such that you’ll need to weigh them down to keep them submerged. I use forks to hold them down.

1-Rinse the plants. Fully submerge the plants in freshly opened seltzer water.

2-Cover the top with a towel or other loose-fitting lid (should not be airtight) and place in the dark for 12 hours.

3-After 12 hours, remove the plants and soak in plain water, preferably aerated for 30 minutes or more. Usually, tank water is sufficiently oxygenated such that you may skip this step.

4-Rinse to remove remnants of pests or dead algae.

5-Place in the tank.

I had a severe case of black beard algae and RR killed it all and has never returned.

Back
Top Bottom