How to put new fish in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I drip acclimate for every fish, every time. Probably unnecessary, but I actually find it easier than the add water to the bag method. Here's what I do-

- Float bag for ~15 mins (probably unnecessary)
- Place fish and bag water in a clean pitcher (also inside bucket to catch overflow)
- Use air line tubing and start a syphon, then use a clamp so there's a slow but steady drip, drip, drip
- Go watch TV for a while
- Let the pitcher fill, dump out half the water than repeat
- More TV :)
- Once the pitcher fills the second time, I net the fish (pitcher comes in handy) and place him in the tank

Again, it's probably not needed, but I find it less work and hassle than trying to keep the bag upright and adding tank water every 15 minutes.

I tend to do the drip method. It's what 'they' use for expensive corals, and while yeah, my fish aren't that expensive, I did pick them out for a reason, and I'd rather take a few minutes of being fussily concerned than dump and ignore, you know?

I put the fish in a pitcher inside another bucket (kinda like eco23 said), and then I take airline tubing and knot it a little. Pull on the tubing (I use a syringe just because it fits so neatly, but however you start a siphon) and get a drip going. Just enough that there's about a drip every second; sometimes 2 drips a second, depends on how quickly I want them acclimated and ready.

Usually by the time the pitcher is full, the fish are ready to be switched over to the new tank. Net 'em and put them in their new home!

Back
Top Bottom