How to put small rocks together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some fist-size rocks that I would like to put together to form a structure. They are all dry base rock. I was thinking cement, maybe? Don't want to use anything that is going to release chemicals into the tank, of course. Any suggestions?

Silicone sealant will not stick to rocks the same way it sticks to glass, but will do the job. Make sure the rocks are clean, and as mentioned, get a silicone such as GE Silicone I for windows and doors. Do not use anything that says "tub and tile" or "kitchens and baths", as they contain mildewcides. GE Silicone II is also not recommended.

Many folks use epoxy like this:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealin...270&catParentID=18270&siId=1383228&catLevel=0

Big Al's sells two versions of this stuff....in white and in grey as shown. I just bought some because I'm gathering information on how to build stone 'walls' by attaching small pieces of slate/stone to Styrofoam to create a tiered affect in one of my tanks.
I just created a thread in this forum, asking for some input on various ways to do this.

Len

Epoxy is good for holding things together. I recommend silicone for watertight seals.

I used silicone for my rock work and it worked well. The trick for me was to get a large glob of glue on each rock then mush them together, then immediately pull them apart then press them back together hard and hold for 10 seconds, then not mess with them over night. The next day I could then put completed sections together. The flater the surfaces the better they stuck together.

Back
Top Bottom