How to raise kh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coxy1988

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone give advice on how to raise kh please....mine is a little low not anything to worry about yet but still good to know if I ever need to. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is a tough question. KH is too closely related to pH to give advice in a vacuum about how to raise it. So I think some more information is needed first.

What is your current KH and what would you like it be? What is your current pH and what would you like it to be?

My current kh is 2.8 in the value of dkh I would like it to be closer to 5 but at the moment it's not an issue I just like to know what to do if it was to get to low to avoid a ph crash. My current ph is 6.5 as I'm keeping discus

Most natural things that raise KH will also alter your pH. Phosphate buffers are probably your best bet. A mix of Neutral Regulator and Discus Buffer.

Most natural things that raise KH will also alter your pH. Phosphate buffers are probably your best bet. A mix of Neutral Regulator and Discus Buffer.

I agree. Phosphate buffers nicely in the pH 6.5-7.5 range. So adding phosphate will certainly help raise your tank's buffering capacity.

My advice, which you already seem to be following, is to not add anything unless your pH fluctuates. Having a low KH doesn't necessarily mean that your tap water won't hold a steady pH. I have *very* soft water, with a dGH of 3 and a dKH of 2, and my tank pH is always in the 7.3-7.4 range.

Thanks just handy to know if anything changes, my water parameters seem to be pretty stable which is my main aim

Back
Top Bottom