How to sex fancies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on sexing fancy fish. I would like to breed them because I have some people who are asking for some fry if they do breed. And I think it would just be a good thing to know. I have three two of them are almost if not a year old the other is around 6 to 7 months.

Would you "fancy" that a question to a question lol. If your referring guppies then its simple the female are less colourful and larger then the males.

Would you "fancy" that a question to a question lol. If your referring guppies then its simple the female are less colourful and larger then the males.

Larger yes but not always more colorful. I've had females just as colorful as males. In the case of wild Guppies then yes males would be more colorful than females but with years and years of breeding this fish wild strain colors are not as common.

As in goldfish, correct? Fancy goldfish are difficult to sex even in ideal conditions. As juveniles, its difficult at best. Once sexually mature and properly conditioned, males will be the easiest to ID. They will develop breeding tuberucles on their gill plates and pectoral fins. Their bodies will be more streamline with a concave vent. Females will appear a bit rounder and lopsided when viewed from above. They have convex or protruding vents. Please read the link below- there are sections with links to pictures of mature males and females as well as information on goldfish care in general and links to a moor changing color.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Back
Top Bottom