How to slow down my filter and make it quieter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Basically what it says in the title

But more importantly how to make my filter quieter?

It makes alot of noise but wasnt like this before...

Some details would certainly help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a internal filter that goes inside the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Stuff more media in it..

Stuff more media in it..

I think i tried that once but i dont think it worked properly plus it started making more noise like something was grinding inside :/

Sounds like something got in to the impeller, if you can't get to it, turn it off and try a cotton bud down the outlet give it a good shake in tank water......

Sounds like something got in to the impeller, if you can't get to it, turn it off and try a cotton bud down the outlet give it a good shake in tank water......

I did a water change this morning and was playing with the filter for quite a bit but still making the same noise!
I check the filter nothing seems to be stuck in it...I even took out the little fan and put it back in but still making a hell of a lot of noise and it's getting pretty annoying now :/

How old is it B, you may have to replace it.........

Quite old :/
Might do but is there no way of shutting it up for now?
It's really annoying me and couldn't sleep at all last night
I think it's cuz the fan motor is a bit loose and it's hitting against something :/

The only thing I can think of is to do what Brookster and really stuff it well with more filter pad that should slow it down temporally until you get another.........

The only thing I can think of is to do what Brookster and really stuff it well with more filter pad that should slow it down temporally until you get another.........

Yeah that will slow it down I think I dunno if it will work properly but do you think that will shut the filter up with the amount of noise it's creating?

Should be fine for now but you would need to get a new one asap, perhaps a different make.........depends on what you can afford

Clean the impeller, if that doesn't work, change the impeller.

I cleaned it and checked if there was anything was there but there's not
And by impeller you mean the fan?

Sounds like either your impeller assembly or the shaft it spins on is wore out. Depending on the make of your filter and how well stocked your LFS is they may just have a replacement for you.

If you end up getting a new one consider getting the same type if its still available and move your media over to prevent a mini-cycle.

Sounds like either your impeller assembly or the shaft it spins on is wore out. Depending on the make of your filter and how well stocked your LFS is they may just have a replacement for you.

If you end up getting a new one consider getting the same type if its still available and move your media over to prevent a mini-cycle.

I found out what the problem is the shaft it spins on is a bit loose and so the the whole thing moves towards the outer layer a bit so the fan is touch the outer layer and scraping against it causing the noise

I dunno what to do about that...

That makes sense, that's the noise then, so you would need to buy another, unless you can tighten the spindle...

It's an easy fix if you can get new parts. Most makers provide parts, either themselves online, or from stores or online stores. You need the make and model number of the filter.

If the shaft has moved out of place, once you get a new one, pull it out, straight out, after removing the blade assembly, which usually just pulls off too. Needle nose pliers are helpful for taking out a shaft. Then put the new one in, it should seat into the hole at the bottom of the impeller well, nice and solid.

If the original impeller blades are still in good shape, slip them back onto it. If they have been damaged by the beating up, get a new impeller too and replace it as well.

It's usually very easy to do, most filters are made so that some sort of cover can be lifted or pulled off, and under it will be the impeller. Some models don't have a shaft, just a magnet and blades.

It's helpful to clean the impeller blades & the magnet and wipe out the impeller well when you clean the filter. Various things can get stuck in there, tiny snails, grains of sand or substrate and the simple buildup of biofilm and other crud will eventually interfere with good function of an impeller. They last longer if you keep them cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom