How to solve cloudy water problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had my tank up and running for about 6 months now. At first the water was very clear but now it seems to be very cloudy. I've kept up with filter changes and cleanings but can't seem to make the water that crystal clearness that we would all love. It hasn't effected the fish at all but just from a viewing perspective. Any ideas on how to clear up the water a little?

Clearing Tank Water

I've had my tank up and running for about 6 months now. At first the water was very clear but now it seems to be very cloudy. I've kept up with filter changes and cleanings but can't seem to make the water that crystal clearness that we would all love. It hasn't effected the fish at all but just from a viewing perspective. Any ideas on how to clear up the water a little?

Hello har...

Two things: Large, frequent water changes and cut to fit poly fiber filter media from Acurel. The thickest fiber will work the best.

B

Hello har...

Two things: Large, frequent water changes and cut to fit poly fiber filter media from Acurel. The thickest fiber will work the best.

B

Thank you! I figured it had to do with some bacteria build up

Thank you! I figured it had to do with some bacteria build up

Hi Harry. If by changing the filters you mean throwing them away or by cleaning you mean rinsing in tap water then in both instance you will lose your bacteria. When new surface area becomes available in the tank. A 'bacterial bloom' will occur which causes cloudy water.

There is no need to replace media. It's the manufacturers way of making money. When rinsing filter media you should use old tank water or dechlorinated tap water. Old tank water is less of a risk of losing bacteria.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom