How to switch from plastic to live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hummingguppy

Aquarium Advice Regular
In the land of potatoes. otherwise known as Idaho.
Hello, I already have an established tank with fish, and plastic plants. I have been reading about how live plants improve water quality, and I want to slowly switch, one plant at a time. I now have gravel substrate, medium lighting, and my tank is tropical. How do I change my plants? Any tips on planted tanks, or recommended plants? Thank you!

First, tell us what kind of lighting you have..bulb, intensity etc..
The gravel you're using..what kind is it?
Last..what size is your tank and what kind of fish do you have?

I found that anacharis was a very hardy plant, my first plant switch, just put them on the gravel and you are set! They don't need root tabs, ferts,co2, nothing very good plant grows very fast

My first go with a live plant was a small java fern windelov and it was in a little critter carrier with my betta not very much light or anything and i had gravel as my substrate and now all of my plants in my six gallon except the java fern the stem of cambomba and a couple plantlets of regular java fern came from that one plant...there are pics in my profile

I have a ten gallon tank, the gravel is large, smooth, and is like river rock. I have two bulbs and I think they are 10 or 15 watts each. I will have five guppies and three platies.

You could try13w compact fluorescent bulbs. Be sure to get the 6500k type; good for plant growth. I would go with a finer grade of gravel, sand, or a plant specific substrate such as EcoComplete, flora max, etc.

Back
Top Bottom