How to treat new rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just received my order of rocks from Buy Live Bulk Assorted Lace Rock . Just wondering how you guys thought I should treat them before adding them to my tank.

Before I added my 2 rocks to my tank I washed them very thourgoughly with regular tap water. Then I let them soak in a bowl for about an hour then rinsed them again then dried them with a towl to make sure all the dust and dirt was off of them! I'm not an expert but that is how I did mine. You might have better luck with this in the planted tanks section considering this is a natural decoration!

I used to boil mine, but got tired off it. I have a creek in my backyard, so I switch my rocks out all the time. I just rinse them off and scub them with a stiff brush.

I used to boil mine, but got tired off it. I have a creek in my backyard, so I switch my rocks out all the time. I just rinse them off and scub them with a stiff brush.

i would advise against boiling rocks has the possibility of the rocks exploding is their. If any water is trapped inside the rock when boiled or heated up it can cause it to explode due to the pressure building up. Just like how you may hear rocks popping in a camp fire but on a bigger scale.

I have heard that. But I boiled hundreds of rocks, and it never happened. But I just stopped because I figured it was over kill.

I have heard that. But I boiled hundreds of rocks, and it never happened. But I just stopped because I figured it was over kill.

yes, but because its never happened to you, does not mean it wont happen to someone else. Anyways i just give the information, up to others if they want to take the risk

Back
Top Bottom