How To?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MU-fishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new at fish. I'm also in College. So something simple and easy? I already have fish, but am willing to get more to make baby fishies!! I have one snail, a pink and yellow neon tetra, a guppy which I was told is male, and a black skirt tetra. I'm not sure if any of them can breed seeing as they are all a different species, except the neon tetras. How can you tell if a fish is male or female? Any advice on how to breed?

MU-fishies said:
I'm new at fish. I'm also in College. So something simple and easy? I already have fish, but am willing to get more to make baby fishies!! I have one snail, a pink and yellow neon tetra, a guppy which I was told is male, and a black skirt tetra. I'm not sure if any of them can breed seeing as they are all a different species, except the neon tetras. How can you tell if a fish is male or female? Any advice on how to breed?

The thing is with tetras is they need a school of at least 6 of their own kind and some of them need quite alot of swimming space. Unfortunately your tank is too small for your fish. I would recommend upgrading. Since your new to the world of fish keeping I will attach some links with some very important info for you to have a read through.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
I would also like to highly recommend you do some research on the types of fish you have.

The thing is with tetras is they need a school of at least 6 of their own kind and some of them need quite alot of swimming space. Unfortunately your tank is too small for your fish. I would recommend upgrading. Since your new to the world of fish keeping I will attach some links with some very important info for you to have a read through.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
I would also like to highly recommend you do some research on the types of fish you have.

Thankyou so much!! Yeah, I've been told I should get a bigger tank. But what size? The guy at Wal-mart said 5-6 in a 1.5 gallon tank is fine, which is what I have. And aprox. how much does it cost? The cycling I did when I got the tank. It was in the instructions. I didn't however, know about the cheap filter, haha. Again, thanks! :D

At Walmart they have a 10 gallon kit for $29!!! Funny cause there 5 gallon kits are 27. Lol

At Walmart they have a 10 gallon kit for $29!!! Funny cause there 5 gallon kits are 27. Lol

Great!! I'll have to go check it out. Last night my fish got into a fight and the innocent bystander, Pinky was hurt. He didn't make it. Now all they do is fight. Bubbles used to be a happy little fish, and Tiny might be in a life or death situation seeing as he is the smallest and rather itty-bitty fish. I really would like to breed, but I think I may have to, as bad as it sounds, just wait till they all die and start over with a bigger tank. I could clean off the other desk since I am in a single room that fits a double. I don't want them to attack eachother to the death though!!

Yea it is just about everything u need. Tank, filter, and hood w/lighting.

If u don't have a heater I would get one and also more gravel it sand which ever u use.

Also if u don't use it prime would be a great asset.

Since you are wanting to breed go ahead and get a breeder net. Petsmart has one for $4.99.

Guppies are good for that size tank and very easy to breed. So are platys. ( that's what I have) remember 1 male to 2-3 females. (Don't just get 1 of each. )

I got 2 females for my male in Friday and on Sunday one of them had a fry of 26. I was only able to save 20. But platys are easy peasy!!! And from what I here guppies are just as easy.

Most colleges only allow a 10 gallon tank, be sure to check with yours. And also keep in mind that if you get prolific breeders, like platies or the like, what are you going to do with all the offspring?

MU-fishies said:
Great!! I'll have to go check it out. Last night my fish got into a fight and the innocent bystander, Pinky was hurt. He didn't make it. Now all they do is fight. Bubbles used to be a happy little fish, and Tiny might be in a life or death situation seeing as he is the smallest and rather itty-bitty fish. I really would like to breed, but I think I may have to, as bad as it sounds, just wait till they all die and start over with a bigger tank. I could clean off the other desk since I am in a single room that fits a double. I don't want them to attack eachother to the death though!!

Don't just let them die! :( what a horrible way to go. See if you LFS will take them back. Them you can get a tank, get it cycled, research what fish you want that are suitable for you tank, then get more fish. They are fighting because they don't have any of there own kind and are in a very small environment.

Thank you all!! I really appreciate the help. Most of the people I have asked have told me I'm too busy or that I'm too young to worry about breeding. True still, I don't really know what to do with all of the fry.. Is it possible too give away? Or maybe sell? What if I gave/sold them to Wal-mart? Any ideas? I don't plan on changing as fast I sound, believe me. I hope to find enough research and info to "train" myslef for such a thing. But this is really helping :D

Back
Top Bottom