hump back danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vic112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello

I had 5 danios, one died recently but not before developing a hump on its back. Now, another one has developed a hump.

I've not found much help doing a google search - can anyone help here?

Thanks

(I have approx 40L cold water tank)

By hump, do you mean like there was some sort of growth on his back? Or more like, his actual spine was bent?

If it is the latter (bent or curved spine), that sounds like it could be fish TB. There are some more pictures of fish with fish TB here, about 2/3 of the way down the page. If you suspect this may be the case, then you need to pull any fish showing symptoms out of the tank, as the disease is contagious and essentially untreatable. Also, be extremely careful about putting your hands in the tank as it is one of the few fish diseases (or perhaps the only one, period) that can infect humans--especially if you have any cuts or open wounds on your hands. The bacteria can get in there and cause a really nasty infection that requires medical treatment.

fish TB

Sorry, should have been more specific. It's definitely a bent spine so will remove it from the tank asap. Sounds like Fish TB but doesn't seem like there's much I can do to help it unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice - especially the bit about it being infectious to humans!! Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom