I am planning on starting a community tank with 10 cardinal tetra the tank has cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish fanatic 34

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am planning on starting a community tank with 10 cardinal tetra the tank has cycled for 14 days and my ammonia is all good, The only problem I have is that the nitrite is at <0.25 I have seen people do fish in cycles and just wondering if it would be safe to add the tetra.

Would a simple water change fix my problem?
]

You arent cycled. It generally takes a couple of months to cycle a tank

How did you cycle the tank? Do you know how to cycle a tank with fish?

No, dont add new fish until you are cycled enough for the fish you already have.

A water change will reduce the level of toxic nitrite in the water, but until you cycle the tank it will continue to rise. Nitrite at 0.25ppm isnt at a harmful level, but it will rise to toxic levels, so if the level gets more than it currently is, then do a water change.

Please give some more details about your aquarium. How big is it? What is the filtration? 10 tetras in an uncycled 400 litres/ 100 gallon aquarium isnt going to be much of a problem. 10 tetras in a 40 litre/ 10 gallon uncycled aquarium is a problem.

Last edited:
Obviously you didn't fish in cycle so how were you supplying ammonia to the tank for those 14 days? If ypu just filled it up and ran filtration thats not gonna cycle

Back
Top Bottom