I bought on impulse today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been waiting for my lfs to get some Harlequin Rasboras for a couple of months now with no luck. So today, I got sick of waiting and decided to go a different route. They had the cutest little Tiger Barbs, 3 of each (Tiger, Albino, and Green) so I took them home instead. Many of you will remember that Tiger Barbs were part of my stocking plan in the beginning, but I ended up dropping them. Well, now apparently they're back in! :)

So far everyone is getting along just fine. I was a little nervous during the acclimation process because the Gouramis were VERY curious about them while they're were floating in the bag. I thought for sure they'd become Gourami food (they are much smaller than the Gouarmis), but after an initial look over they went their seperate ways. They are so adorable and they seem to be loving the bubble wall on the back wall of the tank. I'll try to post some pictures soon.

Arggggggggg! ye old Tiger Barbs. Better watch out, they can turn on the tank mates once they get acclimated!

Cool. Hope all goes well. I don't see much for problems, they should keep to themselves. Just remember, with tiger barbs, the more the better. I currently have 8 and would like to get another 8 in my 55G. They don't bother my other fish either, just play and chase each other around. Just watch for any signs of fin-nipping.

I agree, they should be fine. As LWB stated the more the better. I would try to go with a minimum of 6 if you have the room. I have 9 in mine and they have all been doing great for a while.

When I first started I tried some tiger barbs and they seemed to bother the other tank mates even though they was bigger. Fin nipping, yep, watch out

Yup, I know all about the fin nipping issues of Tiger Barbs which is one of the reasons why I dropped them from my initial stocking plan. However, I did buy 9 of them so I'm hoping that this won't be a major issue. I definitely think I have time now as they're so much smaller than the Gouramis I don't see them testing their limits. Although, this is my first experience with Tigers so I may be complete wrong here! :) I'll definitely monitor things to make sure there's no fin nipping.

LWB - Do you think 9 is an ok number? I'd love to get more, but I'm afraid I'm already overstocked in my 75 (see the fish in my signature). I'm not planning on adding any more fish, but I would definitely get more Tigers if it's ok to add a few more.

Back
Top Bottom