I broke a piece off of my new cascade 1000 filter( the casing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
K so I am so upset with myself!! I broke a piece off the top of my casing where one of the lock clamps attach.. I forced it a little last night and a piece just cracked right off. I tried dap to repair but didn't use enough so just tried again. We will see how that goes later. I am attaching photos. Any suggestions?? If the dap does hold it and I can get it running, will this be an issue? My dad came over and didn't think it would, but not sure he understands the concept of the filter. Ugh!! It has been one thing after another setting this tank up. It is 100 gal cichlid tank that I am currently stocking. I am going to try another old small filter on top until I can get my cascade going again or replace the casing. Surely I am not the first to do this(plastic seems to break easy) but I cannot find anything online.

Attachments

• image-2977212646.jpg
    image-2977212646.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2751361403.jpg
    image-2751361403.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3310021293.jpg
    image-3310021293.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 91
Great! This stinks! My HOB filter will only fit on side due to wall spacing. Will HOB for 30 do enough filtering for a few days or should I use another one on other side? This means no top and no lights if I have to use both sides. First I get defaults filter( which penny lax replaced) but during messing with it, one glass lid fell in and it cracked a piece off! Then I'm up and running and clean filter and I break it!

Attachments

• image-4291789256.jpg
    image-4291789256.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 80
Dear Fireflygirl,

Sorry that this happened, I've broken pieces off my Fluval 404...But not my Cascade 1000. However my Cascade arrived with a faulty intake valve...yeas you can imagine the mess. However I called them and they sent me a new one overnight. I'd call them--leave a message I've never spoken to a real person--but the part arrived.

The HOB will work for a few days, but unless you moved over some media, you are bound to have a spike. You can keep on top of it by testing daily and doing PWC with Prime. During a flood with no power and no potable water for 4 days everyone survived by using bottled water for small changes and monitoring...

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks so much! I was freaking out! Due to only being able to find the case at 2 sites, and both could have taken up to almost 2 weeks just to ship! I called Penn Plax and she returned my phone call today. They are sending me a new case! They are hard to get a hold of. Only able to email or leave message both times I have had to contact them, but they do respond. I am very satisfied with their customer service. I had just done a 30% water change like 4-5 days before I cleaned and broke filter. I was worried about having to do more. I had already talked my husband into buying a new filter:) only choice if I didn't want to wait that long. I haven't ordered it yet due to trying to research. I think I have decided on the Fluvall fx5. Any suggestions? I will move cascade to new 55 gal and upgrade my 100! This tank has been a long process, from buying to finally getting it up and running. Frustrating, I want to enjoy it! I still have to figure out new background and add more rocks and maybe some driftwood. The slate I had saved to use, I don't feel safe with it now so that threw me another curve. I do see light at the end of the tunnel. Lights Oh yes, hopefully new lights soon lol

Heather

I feel your pain.

My new Eheim 2076 arrived yesterday. Took me 30 seconds to break the switch off it.

I'll personally never buy another filter. It's all way over priced. The only part worth money on them is the pump. And if you buy just the pump, you can get tons more flow for a fraction of the cost. DIY your filters and you won't deal with any of the remorse.

I dont mean to sound rude in anyway. Haha. But store bought filters made me feel like a slave and always gave me buyers remorse...then I watched a bunch of DIY on youtube and realized what extremely simple devices they are.

Biological filtration is EASY to achieve...so, imo, any high dollar your spend should be for mechanical filtration.

My Eheim cost me $140+ and is rated 80gph. Thats just crazyness! You can literally get a pump rated 700 gph for $70.

I just made a filter with a $20 pump that, I would bet money, could compete with my Eheim, if not perform even better.

K done ranting. LOL. I just hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom