I changed up my tank ***Pics***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmedic25

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Water is a bit cloudy from kicking up some poo while re doing things. I was sort of going for an old sunken tree that fractured in 3 places along a rock pile motif...LMAO!!! in need a tripod Anubias is doing well (far right) and Java fern is mounted to the middle piece of driftwood. Its a small peice of fern. The reflection is the stove...I forgot to turn the light off. Also I forgot to remove the big white ugly lettuce clip

img_1715920_0_8fa73e149eb994ce451833c7e3b6dc8c.jpg

img_1715920_1_6e72a8596fba711878c1f0c7b913a480.jpg

img_1715920_2_b5e117b9d157d1f43621fc98e0a05296.jpg

img_1715920_3_c9dfbb5db676033c17c7bf6774ecf077.jpg

Malawi Freak said:
Very nice rock work. Looks great with the black sand.

x10000 black sand is KILLER bro!! Next breakdown I may have to switch. Was it hard? Fish in or out? Looks amazing love the rocks also. Nice job once again.

x10000 black sand is KILLER bro!! Next breakdown I may have to switch. Was it hard? Fish in or out? Looks amazing love the rocks also. Nice job once again.

Black sand was a pain...Fish out total breakdown. scooped gravel for an hour. Washed 80lbs of sand for 2 hrs. All day affair, but i think I told you right after I did it I saw a total change in fish behavior. The dig and create make little caves and tunnels. Pretty cool, The sand I used was really cheap. 6 bucks for 50 lbs. Im not sure if it had a darn thing to do with it, but the bloat hit right after I changed the substrate. Could be because of the stress of it all I really dont know.

So you re homed the fish is what? Say a bucket with a filter and heater or another tank? Man sounds like a lot of work! More credit for doing it though! Really makes the tank!! I may try this for sure!!

I heard blasting sand was good and cheap at homedepot. I could get it done in a day. Will the fish be ok that long? You said bloat hit after huh? Maybe it was all the stress. I mean you netted and re homed them. Netted them and returned them.

I have some thinking to do now..... I have a few days off.

Convict2161 said:
So you re homed the fish is what? Say a bucket with a filter and heater or another tank? Man sounds like a lot of work! More credit for doing it though! Really makes the tank!! I may try this for sure!!

I heard blasting sand was good and cheap at homedepot. I could get it done in a day. Will the fish be ok that long? You said bloat hit after huh? Maybe it was all the stress. I mean you netted and re homed them. Netted them and returned them.

I have some thinking to do now..... I have a few days off.

Medic your tank looks great. Its not that hard to change just takes a while to do. I just changed from black to black and white cichlid sand. Moved decorations to one side, scooped all the black out then did the same to the other side. Then I took a break to let the fish chill out some before I added the new sand. I didn't lower my eater initially so I could do a pwc after I got all the stuff stirred up. I've done it twice now with fish in and haven't lost a fish yet.

Yeah not hard just a pain. Just net your fish which is easy after you get all your deco out. Put them in a bucket of thier aquarium water. Make sure you turn off all your filters and heater. The sand can damage impellers. I have no problem with my black diamond blasting sand. It needs a lot of washing because it has an oily film on it coming out of the bag. I just put a about 15 lbs at a time in a deep plastic container. Plunge the hose down into the sand. The crud and dust float to the top and you can spill it off. Heres a good video explaining. Its not me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom