I freshly dirted and capped my 5.5g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
.... and now I want to do something completely different :banghead:
Do I have a problem? Ergh.
Most of the plants are gone anyway. My staurogyne repens that flourished in that tank and made almost a full carpet, all abruptly melted and died off. ???? (happened before my re-dirt and re-cap; I broke down and redid the tank when the s.repens had issues). When I restarted it I moved in elodea that started melting in my main tank, I thought from mega ferts and excel, but it continued melting into nothing in the 5.5g.

At the back left is an amazon sword, which could not be more inappropriate for a 5.5g. It needs to go somewhere bigger now but I have absolutely nowhere to put it. i don't want any more swords in my 90g, and I already have another one in my 10g (I only started with the one in my 90g, these are babies). The 20g only has 1 inch of substrate so I can't really put in any real plants there. What should I do with it?? "Sell" it and the 10g one for shipping? Maybe that would work. I don't want to throw them in the garbage!

There are other little plants here and there but it doesn't really have any plan going on. The plants in there are pretty much "whatevers" from the other tanks.
I'm getting shrimp and now I wish I had done black sand... current cap is light gravel :nono: The shrimp are going to be invisible!

I don't even know what I'm asking. I'm just rambling. I am really frustrated with it and I can't figure out how to direct my efforts. I did all this work setting it up again and now I'm really dissatisfied with it.

Put them in a compost bin. That way it's not quite garbage and they can again become one with the earth...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll take the sword if you are getting rid of it i was thinking about getting one anyway...:brows:

An interesting thing happened when I emptied most of the old gravel out of the tank. I came back a few hours later to check that the dirt had settled so I could remove the water, and the tank was full of teeny tiny white dots zipping around.

I caught a few in a pipette and mounted them on a slide and they are some type of copepod. The one in the picture here, in fact. The World’s Strongest Animal is the Copepod

So I feel a little bad, I destroyed their habitat! And now I need to keep the water from the tank instead of draining it and tossing it. Sigh. so today it is just sitting there with the water in it because I don't feel like dealing with it yet.

5g project 2015-05-06 01 by threnjen, on Flickr

All of the old plants/hardscape are just hanging out in a temporary bin, although I will probably not return much of it to the tank. When the staurogyne repens melted the tank became pretty barren as that made up a large area.
sword 02 by threnjen, on Flickrhttp://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:
I'll take the sword if you are getting rid of it i was thinking about getting one anyway...:brows:

I have two and you can have both for cost of Priority shipping, which is about $6 with the Paypal fee.
sword 01 by threnjen, on Flickr
sword 02 by threnjen, on Flickr

I have a few ramshorn snails but no pond snails. They may or may not have any algae, I know better than to make promises about that. A quick dip would take care of any hitchhikers/issues.

PM me if you want them

http://www.aquariumadvice.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Back
Top Bottom