I got two new plants today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

French horn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The scientific names are Echinodorus paniculatus and Echinodorus amazonicus
upon googling those names I found that they are both amazon sword plants, they don't look like the same plant. E. Paniculatus was also labeled as 'beheri' for its common name on the tag and E amazonicus was labeled as amazon sword plant on its tag. So what are they and how much light do they need?

They might have been grown emersed so they might look different then the pics. I've grown swords in low light and medium light obviously they grow way faster in the medium light.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They grow very differently based on the amount of light. They're both heavy root feeders. The more light, the more root nutrients they'll need. The amazonicus can grow very long, wide leaves. The paniculatus can grow very dense. As long as their roots are well fed, they will grow.

Thank you for the responses. I have API root tabs, so if I give them those monthly and I think I have low light, about how long will they take to get huge? And can they crossbreed?

Not sure, I haven't had them in low light. And they're "asexual" - that's probably not the correct word, but is most easily understood. They send out runners that can be cut and planted as a second plant, without the need for a second plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom