I have a couple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
As far as decor goes, I was trying to keep things light and minimal in my new 55g goldfish tank, but the longer I have this tank, the more I'm finding I want more in it. I placed two small bits of extra driftwood in that I had and moved a java fern from my betta tank and stuck it to one of them, but I think I still want more. After fighting so hard to keep plants alive and well and healthy in my tropical tanks, I thought I wanted nothing more to do with adding live plants to any more tanks, but I just can't bring myself to buy plastic or silk ones and am wondering what I could add to my goldies tank to spice it up a bit that will be easy (no Co2 or high lighting). I know I can use Java ferns and could probably use crypts or anubias, but would jungle val be okay? Could it handle the 68 degrees, bad lighting, no Co2, and nibbling goldies?

Also, this tank is in my basement and the only sink my python will reach is super slow for both draining and filling. I know I can't do much to speed up the drainage, but would sticking my outside hose through the window to fill it be okay? it's all the same water, but I'm not sure if the hose itself would add any bad stuff. I've drank out of it and am still alive, but I know my fishies are a bit more sensitive ;)

As far as decor goes, I was trying to keep things light and minimal in my new 55g goldfish tank, but the longer I have this tank, the more I'm finding I want more in it. I placed two small bits of extra driftwood in that I had and moved a java fern from my betta tank and stuck it to one of them, but I think I still want more. After fighting so hard to keep plants alive and well and healthy in my tropical tanks, I thought I wanted nothing more to do with adding live plants to any more tanks, but I just can't bring myself to buy plastic or silk ones and am wondering what I could add to my goldies tank to spice it up a bit that will be easy (no Co2 or high lighting). I know I can use Java ferns and could probably use crypts or anubias, but would jungle val be okay? Could it handle the 68 degrees, bad lighting, no Co2, and nibbling goldies?

Also, this tank is in my basement and the only sink my python will reach is super slow for both draining and filling. I know I can't do much to speed up the drainage, but would sticking my outside hose through the window to fill it be okay? it's all the same water, but I'm not sure if the hose itself would add any bad stuff. I've drank out of it and am still alive, but I know my fishies are a bit more sensitive ;)

Are you wanting a theme tank or a natural feel tank?

Do you have fancies or comets? Comets will be harder on the plants than the fancies will. Feeding veggies every day helps with preventing plant massacres.

I've done vals in a goldfish tank. My greatest success was by surrounding the roots with river rock too heavy for the fish to move. The same for swords. Both plants, as well as crypts are root feeders, so you have to add a root tab when you plant and periodically thereafter.

When you say bad light, do you mean only natural light in the basement? Stock light bar with a fluorescent bulb? You can beef up lighting to decent low light par using those aluminum work lights form the hardware store with a 23w CFL in them.

Just the basic lights the tank came with, I honestly haven't even looked at their wattage, but I'm sure it's not even a watt per gallon. I'll be buying better bulbs, but I don't want to mess with Co2, so nothing too strong. I have 6500k daylight bulbs in the regular hood of my betta tank and that seems to be fine for his java fern and nana, so I'll probably go that route for bulbs. I was thinking about Vals in clay pots with some river rock in the tops, would that work?

I have four fancies.

Just the basic lights the tank came with, I honestly haven't even looked at their wattage, but I'm sure it's not even a watt per gallon. I'll be buying better bulbs, but I don't want to mess with Co2, so nothing too strong. I have 6500k daylight bulbs in the regular hood of my betta tank and that seems to be fine for his java fern and nana, so I'll probably go that route for bulbs. I was thinking about Vals in clay pots with some river rock in the tops, would that work?

I have four fancies.

Yes, as a matter of fact, that is some of the best protection, although the roots of the vals will probably outgrow the pot.

Back
Top Bottom