I just got a Zoo coral and I think something is wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
its the size of 1 1/2 softball and when I brought it home I aquamated it and I put it in the tank and noticed 2 bristall worms on it so I took thoes out and whne I look at the zoos some are closed, some are half open, and some are fully open. The ones that are open look like they are dead and i moved the rock to a difeernt place of the tank and they diddent shoot back closed so I think it dead. I bought it for 39.98. Should I take it back or just leave it in my tank.

This is normal. It will take a few days for them to settle in to their new home and open up. Just give it time. FWIW...most bristle worms are harmless, in fact, beneficial in a marine tank. No need to remove anymore if you do not want to.

Why are they benifitial. Also I found 4 baby star fish and one baby emerald crab, half the size of a dime

I found another worm. The worms I am taking out are pink and some with a little black but barley, with little little white spikey things on the edges. I use twesers to take them out And I know if you touch them it will hurt like hell. But what do I do with the emerald crab. Its legs are zebra striped and body of a emerald and claws.

As far as the zoos as Lando said that is normal. Give them some time and they will be OK

Why are they benifitial
They will help in keeping the tank clean by eating unwated detritus. As mentioned, the bearded fireworm (also a type of bristle) is an unwanted predator in your tank. The majority of them remain small and safe in the tank.

bearded fireworms tend to be larger, red with white bristles. If they a small and dark in color you should be fine. Here is a Caribbean bearded fireworm I removed from my tank.

Attachments

• copy__3__of_uploadable_pics_007_585x438_548.jpg
    copy__3__of_uploadable_pics_007_585x438_548.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 29
  • copy__5__of_uploadable_pics_001_585x438_184.jpg
    copy__5__of_uploadable_pics_001_585x438_184.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 31
Make sure there are no fungus type material on the polyps or anything bothering them. They will close up if walked on or moved. Just like Lando said, new acclimation can take a few days. Also if you light is a lot different the light they came from, you might need to acclimate to the light as well.

The worms I am taking out are pink and some with a little black but barley

I agree, my bristle worms eat the nasty stuff that sinks to the bottom. They also stir up the sandbed, good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom