I know fish can adapt, but..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I'm looking to get a GBR, but their ph range is 5.0-7.0, I know fish can adapt, and do fairly well when you drip acclimate, but I have a very high ph, like 8.0-8.2 last time I checked. Should I even be considering it with that high of a ph? I've never had a problem with it being high before, but I know GBR's are sensitive, so I figured I should ask first.

What do y'all think?

Thanks!

Depends. If you can find gbr from a local breeder where they were rasied in water similar to yours with a high pH, I would say go for it. If you can't find that, I would say skip the gbr. JMO. :)

Get good stock. Not necessarily local, as that's not always practical, but private breeders regardless of location generally have better stock. They pop up on either here or aquabid once in awhile. Patience is a virtue.

I have a pair of GBRs in pH 7.8 water (or higher depending on the tank). I got them from a lfs that is ridiculously selective of their providers. Their rams in particular come from a german breeder/farm. The pair I picked up they had had for several months already, so I lucked out in the capacity as well. Just keep your eyes open.

On a related note, my rams bred in pH 8 water. Eggs didn't develop, but in their defense they were new, stupid parents.

Well I guessed with the lfs I'm getting it from, since there ph is about the same, it'd be fine. I'll give it a shot. Now should I get a, pair out just one? Its a 20H with 8 rasboras, 4 juli corys, ghost shrimp, and a molly.

IMO, just 1. In that amount of space, the pair would likely pick on the corys. Its not that rams are aggressive, but they will chase other fish out of their territory and corys are no usually very good at understanding what is and isn't the rams' territory, so if its a small space, they will get chased a lot.

absolutangel04 said:
IMO, just 1. In that amount of space, the pair would likely pick on the corys. Its not that rams are aggressive, but they will chase other fish out of their territory and corys are no usually very good at understanding what is and isn't the rams' territory, so if its a small space, they will get chased a lot.

Hmmm, okay, thanks!

would agree with the above about the corys...i only get away with it because i've got plenty of space for all to get along.

Back
Top Bottom