I know I need to be patient....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birdma

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm only 2 weeks into doing a fish in cycle but I'm getting sick of my parameters not changing. Every morning when I test ammonia is between .25-.5, nitrite is 0. Last week I got nitrates which was exciting but the novelty has worn off. I want to see different colors! :lol:

I feel your aggravation, atleast you have nitrites, I'm still waiting on them to show up in my cycle! Ive had my fish since 8/16, which wasn't the original plan but it happened anyway lol, my ammonia stayed at 0-.25 for about two weeks and this going on 3/4 days I've had an ammonia spike, or atleast what a spike is for me, and the levels have been at .25-.5, sometimes even .5-1. It freaks me out having that high ammonia with fish in!

It's something we all go through, and it is annoying - but a lot more stressful when doing it with fish in the tank. Next time try a fishless cycle, quicker and less stressful, but a bit boring.

You have a ways to go I'm afraid. What size tank and what fish? if the tank is stocked heavily then the toxins will rise faster. What are you feeding and how much? If you can get some seeded media (stuff in the filter from an established tank) it'll help introduce the needed bacteria and help with the cycle. If not, you can order a seeded sponge filter from here: Sponge Filters for aquariums They come from their fish tanks and have helped many with their cycles (myself included). Just make sure the one you buy says "active" next to it or else you're just buying a plain filter.

All my tanks are officially cycled now! Did fish-in cycling (not my original intent). Twenty gallon was first, didn't have any seeded media, it took 38 days ( 25%wc every day) then used that media to seed the 30 and the 2 10s.....they cycled in less than two weeks. Am astounded that it went so well, didn't lose a fish or a plant in the process and spent less Han a half hour a day on maintainence. Now my question is, where can î put another tank?Don't lose hope, it will happen and it is very rewarding when it does.

Oh I know I have a ways to go! lol...I was planning on doing a fishless cycle but grandma bought the kids fish about 2 weeks ago so here we are trudging along.

Mrs.h2012 I think we got our fish about the same time! My ammonia has never gone above .5, I think I'd be simultaneously excited and freaked if it went up to 1! And I don't have nitrItes, I have nitrAtes. They're measuring at 5. I seemed to have skipped the nitrites? Another member on here told me she got nitrates early on and her nitrites didn't show up until 6 weeks into her cycle. I'm really hoping I'll be done by then but I'm not holding my breath!

Librarygirl - thanks for that recommendation. I'll look into that. It's a 14g w/ 6 platys. I was feeding 1-2x a day but I think they have worms. So I did a fast and fed peas. And have been feeding less often since then.

birdma said:
Oh I know I have a ways to go! lol...I was planning on doing a fishless cycle but grandma bought the kids fish about 2 weeks ago so here we are trudging along.

Mrs.h2012 I think we got our fish about the same time! My ammonia has never gone above .5, I think I'd be simultaneously excited and freaked if it went up to 1! And I don't have nitrItes, I have nitrAtes. They're measuring at 5. I seemed to have skipped the nitrites? Another member on here told me she got nitrates early on and her nitrites didn't show up until 6 weeks into her cycle. I'm really hoping I'll be done by then but I'm not holding my breath!

Librarygirl - thanks for that recommendation. I'll look into that. It's a 14g w/ 6 platys. I was feeding 1-2x a day but I think they have worms. So I did a fast and fed peas. And have been feeding less often since then.

Funny thing birdma, that's exactly how I got my two fish! my mom took my son out and came back with the two fish because he wouldn't stop talking about there being no fish in the 'fishes house' (what he calls the tank) I had my tank up and running for two weeks before hand, just never added an ammonia source because I was waiting to get a test kit, and still even had to wait another week to get that test kit after getting fish.

Back
Top Bottom