I love snails! ❤️

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annalee985

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I on on my third tank upgrade; I started with a 5 gallon glofish tank, moved up to a 20 gallon that I call the "spongebob" tank bc I wanted my kids to enjoy my new passion of having an aquarium. I upgraded again to a 50 gallon bow tank a few years later. My next goal is for a snail ? only tank; of course I have to educate myself hopefully through this community on how to properly setup and maintain this type of tank. I welcome any help or advice that anyone is willing to take the time to share. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this wonderful community. I am eager to know you all and learn and participate!:thanks:

And I have a separate tank full of Ramshorns too. They don't mix well together.

Yeah snails! What kind?
I have mystery snails and nerites in my 50 gallon but I want to make a snail only tank in a 20 gallon hopefully with some plants, sand, etc. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be so grateful!:thanks:

Are there any plants that you would suggest? I just love these snails so much! I can't explain why but I just love to watch them; it helps me to relax and it makes me smile and gives me a sense of pride, accomplishment, and love when I observe them.

I would get plants from petco or pets mart and you will get a bloom of snails. If that's not what you are going for, go for an assasin snail they will eat the snails smaller than it (pest snails) and leave the bigger ones alone.

My snails love all plants, rock, wood etc. They explore it all. Just make sure you leave space between stuff for them the crawl through and not get wedged in. This is my main tank. IMG_1568.jpg

And my baby snail nursery. IMG_1632.jpg

So jealous! Great job!

My snails love all plants, rock, wood etc. They explore it all. Just make sure you leave space between stuff for them the crawl through and not get wedged in. This is my main tank. View attachment 304418

Absolutely stunning! Thank you for the advice!:thanks: Hopefully I can be successful with my snail tank!

And my baby snail nursery. View attachment 304419

Just gorgeous!

Advice is always appreciated!

(y)
I would get plants from petco or pets mart and you will get a bloom of snails. If that's not what you are going for, go for an assasin snail they will eat the snails smaller than it (pest snails) and leave the bigger ones alone.

Thank you for taking the time to give your advice, I am always at those stores for supplies and next time I will do what you advised.:thanks:

Many snails will not eat healthy plants just the dying edges or dying plants to clean them up.

Safe ones would be Mystery snails (Pomacea Diffusa also previously named Bridgesii) some times called Apple Snails (which may eat plants, Pomacea canaliculata, invasive, common name the channeled applesnail).

Ramshorns (Planorbis rubrum) in many different colors.

But the gold and dark striped Giant ramshorn snail (Marisa cornuarietis) may eat plants.

Pond aka Bladder snails Lymnaea stagnalis are good clean up crew but lots of people dislike them, as they reproduce quickly in some tanks.

Assassin Snail is a small snail which can kill and eat nuisance snails for you. Some thought is that they kill their prey with neurotoxin... Can take down fairly large snails.

Those above reproduce easily in FW tanks.

Then there are Nerite snails of a variety of colors, patterns and shell features like spikes - very cool!!! These do not reproduce in FW though they lay eggs, they need brackish water for viability.

Back
Top Bottom