I need a vacuum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
It is time to purchase a new vacuum. I have two cats and a dog that all shed as well as a wife with allergies. I am looking at the Dyson DC14 Animal. Has anyone had any experience with this? It is a big chunk of change to plop down without hearing some good testimonials. Anyone? Any other recommendations? Thanks!

Im asking for a vacuum for Christmas.. and I refuse to own a vacuum that costs more than $400.

I'm asking for a Kenmore Progressive 36922/3 that was "Rated America's Best Bagless Upright" just because I hate dealing with bags- that would be my recommendation to look into... er something

James' mother purchased a Dyson a few months ago and she said that it is definately not worth the money. She said that her Hoover vac did a better job. But I don't recall which model she purchased.

Here are some reviews from Amazon regarding the Animal Upright Vac. It looks like it is mixed reviews. Either people loved it or hated it.

My mother-in-law had a Dyson ... can't recall if it was the DC14 or not? But she hated it ... she went back to her Dirt Devil bagless upright and commisioned me to sell the Dyson on Ebay! I think those vacuums are WAAAAAY overpriced that's for sure. As far as how they work, I don't know I never used hers!

My fiance sold high end vacuum cleaners for about 2 and a half years, she just stopped selling them about a year ago and this is what she had to say along with some of my input from the vacuums I've used (which are nearly all of them considering every time she sold a vacuum we got a trade in from them to use).

Vacuums we've owned and used

Dyson--My mother, who we're staying with now due to the hurricane, owns one. It is a huge waste of money. The tools are so hard to use, the suction is about average, but the accesories and floor brush pick nothing up. It's a piece of junk IMO and my fiance's, however, some people love them. I tend to think it's because they can't bear to realize they spent $400+ on a piece of junk.

Hoover, Eureka, Bissel, Etc. Upright vacs---They are cheap for a reason. They do pretty well for the first few months, maybe even to 6 months and they are very convenient, especially bagless ones. However, They clog up and lose nearly all of their suction after about 6 months of usage. I cannot tell you how many of these were traded in. They become nearly worthless after a year, you might as well just sweep your carpets with a broom.

Kenmore canister vacuum--Great vacuum. Really good. I think the most popular model is the Kenmore Progressive 25615, around $300. They always have good suction and last forever. My grandparents have owned one I know that lasted 15 years. If I were to buy a vacuum right now it would probably be this one due to best value for your money and that's also what my fiance said. The accessories work well and the rotating brush is very good at picking up hair--very important with cats and dogs. I won't vouch for the upright model though because I've never used one. My fiance says that canister vacs always have the best cleaning power and suction so you probably lose a little if you go the upright mode.

Miracle Mate--What my fiance sold. The most impressive vacuum I ever used, however it cost $1500-$2500, thus it's probably only for someone with alot of money to use on a vac. The brush is great at picking up hair and the cleaning power is better than anything I've ever used--Kenmore was 2nd. If you can somehow pick one up cheap I would recommend it but otherwise I wouldn't go for this.

Rainbow--Imagine lugging 32 pounds of water behind you when you vaccum. Now imagine you paid $2000-$4000 for it. The worst vacuum ever, it picks up nothing and the usage of water as a filtering device means You actually spread more stuff into the air that will aggrevate your allergies than you pick up. Used it once, huge PITA, and sold it on ebay for $500.

Kirby and Royal--Kirby's are $2000-$4000 and definitely not worth it. They do last quite awhile but they just aren't very good at doing they're job when compared to a Royal which still costs a pretty penny $400-$500 for the good models and are a better machine than a Kirby. Royals tend to last a long while, growing up we had one for a good ten years, but the cleaning power isn't what you would get with the better canister vacs.

Vacuums I hear alot about but have never used

Miele--Best reviewed vacuums and everyone raves about them, however, the cheapest model that comes with a floor brush for carpets is $800. So that's a drawback. I would say that even though we got traded in vaccums like rainbows, Kirby's, tristar's , and others that cost more, nobody would ever part with a miele or Bosche, which is another highly rated vacuum.

My advice is buy the Kenmore canister vac. It's not quite as convenient as those uprights and not as trendy as those new dysons but it is definitely better.

Thanks! This is the info I need. I checked with epinions.com and it had an overall rating of 4.5 out of 5. I guess I will just keep researching.

Lando, I have a hoover windtunnel, I don't remember the model numbers, but it is a bagless upright and the top of the line. I also have 2 siberian huskies. It has a lot of suction after owning it for three years, but I fill the bagless container on each floor of my house and empty it three times for each use. DO NOT BUY THIS VACUUM!! I have had it in the shop numerous times to get it fixed because the dog hair simply clogs it up and the parts start melting. now, I am very cautious about it clogging and I end up taking it apart once a month and cleaning it all out. It cost 400.00 and if the Dyson works for you let me know, because I have been threatening to buy a new one for 3 years.

I have a Kenmore Progressive Upright with HEPA bag and it has been the best vacuum that I have ever owned. I'm not sure that I would go with a bagless system. I like the HEPA bags since we have a ouse full of allergies and asthma. It is very heavy, though.

We did a lot of research before we bought it ( about 6 years ago ) and it was rated the best vacuum for the money by Consumer Reports at that time and I believe it still it right up there in the ratings.

My mother paid big bucks for an Oreck a few years back - she hated it. I convinced her to get the Kenmore as well and her only complaint was the weight, and she had 4 very hairy dogs at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom