I need help, Bala shark with a gross head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's just one thing after another, never getting a fish at petsmart again. My Bala shark has weird discoloration on his head, white/grey. I don't think it's hole in the head. I bought a small pleco a few days ago and he had really really long stringy poop that looked like human hair. I learned this is a sign of parasites, I think the bala may have the parasites now, or he could have just beat up his head on the sides of the tank. I just don't know what to do here, he is acting fine, but he looks like {MOD EDIT} on his face, it looks like pigeon poop.
I have been treating my tank with maracide and Maroxy for the last week, the ich spots are all gone, but there is still some flashing. I just can't believe I would have fungus ich and parasites all at once. My water quality has been PERFECT through out, I have even been doing water changes EVERYDAY but it seems as one fish looks better, another looks worse, also I don't think the bala has grown AT ALL in the last 3 weeks, he's still 3 inches.

I just don't know what to do, he looks do ugly, I'm ready to euthinize and get a new one, even though he is behaving normally (at least consistently, maybe he has been bad from day one)

I just don't know what to do, these disease are sucking the life out of me, and according to what I've heard and read, I have done everything right

Last edited by a moderator:
If the fish has internal parasites you need a special medicine for it. I treat all my goldfish and the koi every spring with a medicated food for parasites. I know you can get it in flake form also. As for the shark, it could take quite some time to fully recover if it's been hit with so many issues at once. Can't remember but what does Maroxy treat for? Maracyn is for gram positive bacteria so unless he has something that is gram negative bacteria I think you've covered everything. Sometimes when a fish is stick from the start they just never seem to recover. Wish I had something worth while to tell you.

I used maracide for ick, velvet protozoan and Maroxy for fungus. Doing some reading there is a chance it's just from the shark constantly rubbing his face in the glass.

I used maracide for ick, velvet protozoan and Maroxy for fungus. Doing some reading there is a chance it's just from the shark constantly rubbing his face in the glass.

Likely due to your tank size which I'm guessing isn't the required 150 or so?

That same thing happened to me. I got diseases from petsmart but I also found the cure, so to speak. Try macryn( probably misspelled that) it saved my pleco and tiger barbs. The bala shark sounds like it was injured

The Bala shark injured himself, I added another bala shark ab the same size, totally solved the problem. He is healing nicely, stopped rubbing compulsively, and eats well. He just needed a friend, which makes sense . I have a pretty intimidating tank for a small fish. As far as diseases go, I used maracide, and Maroxy, I may need to do more treatment, but for now I'm just keeping the water at 82* and using aquarium salt. Also doing 10% water changes daily. I figure I would let their environment stabilize before treating again. No one has died in the 3 weeks if symptoms, so I think I have seen the worse.

Back
Top Bottom