I need help with my bolivian rams!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 4 Bolivian rams in a 55g tank. Two for sure are males, the other two I'm not so sure about; one day I think their females and the next I think their males. They all got along great up until today. There has been a good bit of lip locking going on, as well as charging and chasing. They are in with 6 serpae tetras, who have been perfectly fine with everyone and never bothered anyone... but today they are chasing after everyone but the rams, I have 3 peppered and 4 bronze cories, 4 platys, 1 balloon Molly and albino pleco. No one bothers any of the cories or pleco's (that I can see). If anyone thinks I need to return any fish of my stock I can. Any suggestions are welcome, I'm at a loss of what to do.

I have 4 Bolivian rams in a 55g tank. Two for sure are males, the other two I'm not so sure about; one day I think their females and the next I think their males. They all got along great up until today. There has been a good bit of lip locking going on, as well as charging and chasing. They are in with 6 serpae tetras, who have been perfectly fine with everyone and never bothered anyone... but today they are chasing after everyone but the rams, I have 3 peppered and 4 bronze cories, 4 platys, 1 balloon Molly and albino pleco. No one bothers any of the cories or pleco's (that I can see). If anyone thinks I need to return any fish of my stock I can. Any suggestions are welcome, I'm at a loss of what to do.

Sometimes the serapeas are on and off one day they are happy and one day they are aggressive.... I think you should get a calmer breed even though I know you like those serapeas some black skirts are quite a bit calmer then the serapeas.... This is just IMO

The rams chase each other, the tetras are chasing everyone but the rams.

Rams although cichlids are so far down on the aggression scale I wouldn't worry about a little chasing, as long as there is no damage, fish are eating, and not being reclusive/bansished then no worries.

With the tetras I'd increase the school to around 11, this should occupy them with each other rather than tankmates.

Rams although cichlids are so far down on the aggression scale I wouldn't worry about a little chasing, as long as there is no damage, fish are eating, and not being reclusive/bansished then no worries.

With the tetras I'd increase the school to around 11, this should occupy them with each other rather than tankmates.

I'll have to look them over real well but I'm pretty sure no one is hurt. They eat perfectly fine and aren't aggressive at all during feeding time. I'm
Actually considering completely getting rid of them and trying out black ruby barbs.

I think my problem is a territorial issue. I was watching my tank a little while ago and noticed one ram in particular, one I can tell for sure is male, would chase even charge at a ram if it came near about a 10-15 inch space of the tank, any other fish that came near it would nudge at until it left, it nipped at some but not anything hard. Anyone who has experience with Bolivians or rams at all would you say it's a territorial issue?

Back
Top Bottom